We welcome applications online and recommend you contact the research supervisor(s) listed for competition funded PhD projects, funded PhD projects and self-funded PhD projects before applying.
Applicants will normally hold a UK honours degree 2:1 (or equivalent); or a Masters degree in a subject relevant to the research project. Equivalent professional qualifications and any appropriate research experience may be considered.
A minimum English language level of IELTS score of 6.5 (or equivalent) with no element below 6.0 is required. Some research disciplines may require higher levels.
PhD application notes
Candidates may apply for one or more of our competition funded PhD projects, funded PhD projects and self-funded PhD projects or propose their own research topic in any one of our strategic areas of research excellence.
- Contact the research supervisor(s) listed for the PhD project or research area of interest before applying.
- If applying to one or more PhD projects, include a project title and reference number for each.
- If submitting your own research proposal, include the research area and the names of any potential supervisors.
- There is no need to provide a research proposal unless the project specification requests it or if you are applying with your own research topic. Guidance on writing a research proposal.
- You will need to following documentation when applying online; academic qualifications (including IELTS if required), two references, any other relevant documentation requested in the project specification.
You will be contacted for an interview if successfully shortlisted for a PhD place. Online interviews are available for overseas students.
Professional Doctorate application notes
Professional Doctorate (Prof Doc) courses begin each January. Prof Doc applications must be received by 31 October for entry in January the following year.
- Contact the Director of the Prof Doc Framework for information and advice on choosing this route to doctoral qualification.
- You will need the following documentation when applying online; academic qualifications (including IELTS if required), two references, a letter of support from your current employer.
- Apply online via the Professional Doctorate Framework .
Prof Doc interviews
All applications to the Professional Doctorate Framework will be shortlisted and interviewed by the programme admissions panel. During this interview, the level of work commitment and your aspirations will be discussed; evidence of managerial support will also be required. Online interviews are available for overseas students.