If you need an item for your research, teaching or coursework, and we don't have it in stock, you can request it through our inter-library loan service.
- For a trial period, we are extending this service to all GCU staff and students registered at our Glasgow and London campuses, but it is expected that most information requirements for undergraduates will be available in our collections or locally. Students on distance learning courses can apply for journal articles or book chapters; we don’t provide a book postal service.
- Before you make a request, check Discover, the Mitchell Library and other local university catalogues. You might be able to consult the item in a library nearby using the SCONUL Access scheme. We will not process requests for items which we hold in stock, are available locally, accessible online, or only available from sources outside the United Kingdom.
- Most requests are fulfilled by the British Library. You can normally borrow a book for four weeks; however, if the British Library asks us to return it earlier, we must do so or risk losing our right to borrow.
- Journal articles, book chapters and conference papers will be supplied electronically where possible. If the lender is the British Library, they will be delivered via the DRM Lite service. Please visit our DRM Lite page for further information.
- Items are supplied for personal use only. If you need an item to share or use as part of your teaching, please use our scanning service.
- If you are a GCU researcher or a member of staff looking for a thesis, please see our Theses webpage.
Please note: From 2 April 2019 we will no longer be using the Clio system; requests can be placed direct from Discover by either:
- Carrying out your search and selecting Expand My Results Beyond GCU Library Collections;
choose the Get It tab where available and sign in;
click Inter-library loan request,you will be taken to the request form which will be automatically populated with the information about your chosen item.
- Using our Inter-library loan request form. You must log in to use this form and input the information about your request.
For further information, visit our FAQs page.
Summer 2019: If the item you are looking for is marked “Temporarily Unavailable” as a result of the Shelving Project, please check Discover to see if the title is available as an EBook, or check if it is available at a local institution and obtain access via the SCONUL Access Scheme. If not, you can apply for an inter-library loan using the request form.
For further help phone 0141 273 1200 or 0141 273 1209, or email the Inter-Library Loan Team at email@example.com.