I saw the ALC scholarship and thought what have I got to lose so I applied through the website and was successful in gaining a place to go to Mauritius, This opportunity was truly life changing in so many ways and has made a great difference to my future outlook on life!
We have an amazing fully funded opportunity for a selection of undergraduate students from GCU to visit our partner college ALC (African Leadership College) in Mauritius for one week leaving on the weekend of 17th March 2018.
To get the full African Leadership College experience GCU students will stay in student residences. The ALC students will help you integrate into the ALC community and accompany you while you attend classes. As well as attending classes you will explore the sites or Port Louis in Mauritius.
To apply you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a UK undergraduate students from a low income background
- You are progressing well on your course
- Be available for interview the week commencing 19th February
What you get
A fully funded experience of ALC (African Leadership College) in Mauritius
- Cost of Flights
- Cost of attendance
- Accommodation and food costs
- you will be immersed into ALC life
- Four Leadership core classes
- Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Communicating for Impact
- Data & Decisions
- Extracurricular activities such as hiking or visiting historic sites in Port Louis
Please note spending money is not provided
Deadline for applications is Wednesday 14 February 2018 5pm
Review and Read Travel health Pro Website for Vaccination information
You don’t need a visa to enter Mauritius. On arrival, your passport will be stamped allowing entry to the country for 60 days. You’ll need to be able to provide evidence of onward or return travel. There are 2 forms to fill out as you entry Mauritius;
- Your details – passport number, place of issue, expiry date, where you are staying and your business in Mauritius
- Your Heath – whether you have had any fever etc. and also where you have travelled in the last 6 months or so.
Form 1 is handed to the Customs Officer at passport control and form 2 is given to the officer at another desk after to have cleared passport control.
Travellers should be up to date with routine vaccination courses and boosters as recommended in the UK. These vaccinations include for example measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine and diphtheria-tetanus-polio vaccine.
Those who may be at increased risk of an infectious disease due to their work, lifestyle choice, or certain underlying health problems should be up to date with additional recommended vaccines. See the individual chapters of the ‘Green Book’ Immunisation against infectious disease for further details.
Terms and conditions
- Must have a valid passport that is in date.
- Must be progressing well in your course.
- A thank you letter is submitted to be given to the donor (Sir Alex Ferguson).
- A report, based on your experience as a scholarship recipient and how this award has made a difference to you once you return.
- Approval for any use of photographs and quotes to be used in printed media and on University websites.
- Attendance at any scholarship related events, hosted by GCU.