I loved every moment of the trip and I will remember it for the rest of my life. I was able to meet some amazing people and coming from a small town with very little diversity it has opened my eyes that there is so so much out there for me to experience. This is something that can’t be taught and I am so grateful that I was able to be a part of the ALC trip.
We have an amazing fully funded opportunity for a selection of undergraduate students from GCU to visit our partner college ALC (African Leadership College) in Mauritius for one week leaving on the 09th February 2019
To get the full African Leadership College experience GCU students will stay in student residences. The ALC students will help you integrate into the ALC community and accompany you while you attend classes. As well as attending classes you will explore the sites or Port Louis in Mauritius.
To apply you must meet the following criteria:
- You are a UK undergraduate students from a low income background or care experienced / estranged student
- You are progressing well on your course
- Be available for interview the week commencing 14th January 2019
What you get
A fully funded experience of ALC (African Leadership College) in Mauritius
- Cost of Flights
- Cost of attendance
- Accommodation and food costs
- you will be immersed into ALC life
- Four Leadership core classes
- Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Communicating for Impact
- Data & Decisions
- Extracurricular activities such as hiking or visiting historic sites in Port Louis
Please note spending money is not provided
Deadline for applications is 07 January 2019
Review and Read Travel health Pro Website for Vaccination information
You don’t need a visa to enter Mauritius. On arrival, your passport will be stamped allowing entry to the country for 60 days. You’ll need to be able to provide evidence of onward or return travel. There are 2 forms to fill out as you entry Mauritius;
- Your details – passport number, place of issue, expiry date, where you are staying and your business in Mauritius
- Your Heath – whether you have had any fever etc. and also where you have travelled in the last 6 months or so.
Form 1 is handed to the Customs Officer at passport control and form 2 is given to the officer at another desk after to have cleared passport control.
Travellers should be up to date with routine vaccination courses and boosters as recommended in the UK. These vaccinations include for example measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine and diphtheria-tetanus-polio vaccine.
Those who may be at increased risk of an infectious disease due to their work, lifestyle choice, or certain underlying health problems should be up to date with additional recommended vaccines. See the individual chapters of the ‘Green Book’ Immunisation against infectious disease for further details.
Terms and conditions
- Must have a valid passport that is in date.
- Must be progressing well in your course.
- A thank you letter is submitted to be given to the donor (Sir Alex Ferguson).
- A report, based on your experience as a scholarship recipient and how this award has made a difference to you once you return.
- Approval for any use of photographs and quotes to be used in printed media and on University websites.
- Attendance at any scholarship related events, hosted by GCU.