Common Good Curriculum
Why the Common Good Curriculum?
At GCU, our commitment to the Common Good underpins everything we do.
- Mission: University for the Common Good
- Vision: Global reputation for delivering social benefit and impact through education, research and social innovation
- Values: Integrity, Creativity, Responsibility, Confidence
About the Common Good Curriculum
At GCU, the Common Good is supported, recognised and embedded within all of our programmes and the wider student experience. The learning experience at GCU will prepare our students to develop our four ‘Common Good Attributes’ and equip them to make a positive difference to the communities they will serve.
The Common Good Attributes
The Common Good Curriculum will support our students to achieve the GCU Common Good Attributes which are underpinned by GCU’s core values: Integrity, Creativity, Responsibility and Confidence.
- Active and Global Citizenship – e.g. recognising and actively seeking to address global social challenges; participating in the community at a local, national or global level
- Entrepreneurial mind-set – e.g. identifying opportunities for change; creating solutions, and putting these into practice in response to identified real world problems
- Responsible Leadership – e.g. developing solutions that are ethical, visionary, realistic and sustainable; exercising empathy, resilience and professionalism
- Confidence – e.g. challenging yourself and continually learning from experience; believing you can make a positive difference by what you do
How will students develop the Common Good Attributes?
Our students will develop these attributes through what we teach and how we teach: providing a learning experience that is active, collaborative, challenging and authentic.
- Our students will develop the attributes needed to make a positive difference in addition to achieving the knowledge, skills and values of their professional and disciplinary area.
- We want to enable our students to develop new ideas and engage in activities that address societal challenges on a local, national or global scale.
- We will provide opportunities for all students to develop these attributes further by participating in co and extra-curricular activities aligned to our Common Good mission. Some opportunities are tailored to students on particular programmes of study; others are open to all students across the University