Welcome to Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) is a vibrant, innovative and multi-award winning University for the Common Good.
We aim to contribute to society in a manner that embraces yet goes beyond the traditional role of a university. GCU’s For the Common Good commitment is brought to life and delivered by students and staff across academic schools and departments.
GCU’s student experience nurtures knowledge and creativity to address real-world global challenges, transforming the lives of our students and others.
- We have academic schools offering high quality teaching, innovative facilities and specialist areas of study
- We have world-leading and internationally excellent research
- We are the largest provider of nursing and midwifery education; have experts in renewables, energy and construction; and we are a leading provider of management, business, law and social science education
- We are raising attainment of talented individuals from all backgrounds through articulation and widening access initiatives such as College Connect and the Caledonian Club
- Graduates from Scotland’s 19 higher education institutions have the best record of professional level jobs in the UK. The proportion of those in graduate level jobs was four per cent higher than their peers in the rest of the UK at 73% (compared to the UK average of 68%). (DHLE, 2014)
Outstanding student experience
Our modern city-centre campus provides an excellent learning environment for more than 20,000 students from Scotland and around the world. GCU’s friendly campus community offers:
- The award-winning Saltire Centre with large academic library
- Opportunities to study abroad or as part of a global exchange
- GCU is the top performing modern university in Scotland for UK full time students completing their first degree. GCU has a completion rate of 80.2 per cent, in line with the Scottish sector average of 80.4 per cent. (The HESA figures for completion rate are outcomes for 2013/14 entrants by HE provider, published by HESA in February 2016)
- Representation from the GCU Student Association
- All the on-campus facilities you need including accommodation and health and fitness
- GCU has received the Cycle Friendly Campus award from Cycling Scotland – the first of its kind in Scotland
- GCU was the first university in Scotland to achieve EcoCampus Platinum certification for its environmental practices
Our world-leading and internationally excellent research addresses societal challenges to help people to build inclusive societies and lead healthy lives in sustainable environments.
- We are top modern university in Scotland by research power (REF 2014)
- Our allied health research and built environment research impact is in the top 20 in the UK
- We are enhancing our research culture, growing the number of research students and supporting those in their early careers to standards of excellence
Innovating for social and economic impact
We deliver applied research and knowledge exchange solutions to private, public and voluntary sector partners.
- GCU is committed to responsible business and social benefit to generate knowledge exchange and consultancy opportunities
- We are building a successful model of co-created work-based education programmes with business partners
- We generate nearly £1billion worth of economic and social benefit for the UK economy every year (BiGGAR Economics)
- An award-winning international student experience
- 95% of GCU graduates are in work or further student six months after graduation (DHLE 2014).
- GCU has an alumni community of 128,000 graduates based in 140 countries.
- Partnerships in China, India, South America and Oman
- Opportunities to study abroad and student exchange support
- European research and collaboration