Mobility & Exchange

Within the EU’s funding programmes, there are many opportunities for staff to engage with colleagues in other countries to enhance their career prospects in both research and education. This can involve travel to another eligible country or hosting a staff member at GCU from another country.

Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions

There are five seperate Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions which support researcher mobility in different ways and at different stages in their career. Individual Fellowships, for example, offer opportunities for experienced researchers to spend two years abroad while Innovative Training Networks create places for new researchers to begin their career. The actions are:

  • Innovative Training Networks (ITN)
  • Individual Fellowships (IF)
  • Research and Innovation Staff Exchanges (RISE)
  • Cofunding of Regional, National and International Programmes (COFUND)
  • The European Researchers' Night (NIGHT)

MSCA Fellowships aren’t only available for travel abroad. They can also be used to sponsor incoming fellows in order to strengthen research teams and are open to researchers from anywhere in the world. TEO will actively help to identify and support the application of suitable candidates who can strengthen and internationalise your research. 

In 2012, GCU researcher Kiril Sharapov applied for a fellowship at the Centre for Policy Studies in Hungary. At the second attempt, his project proposal on Human Trafficking scored an unprecedented 100%. Another researcher, Scott Telfer received a fellowship to spend a period at Washington State University as a follow-up to the A-Footprint project.


Under Erasmus+ staff mobility can take the form of teaching or training periods. Teaching periods allow HEI staff to teach at a partner HEI abroad and can be in any subject area/academic discipline. Training periods support the professional development of HEI teaching and non-teaching staff in the form of training events abroad (excluding conferences) and job shadowing/observation period/training at a partner HEI or at another relevant organisation abroad.

Find out about exchanges for staff.