Research funding

Support for research studies

The following research councils who may be able to provide support for postgraduate and research studies:

  1. Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
  2. Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
  3. Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC)
  4. Medical Research Council (MRC)
  5. Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)

Applications to all research councils, except the ESRC, must be submitted through the appropriate academic department of the university. ESRC applications may be made directly to the ESRC the body. Studentships consist of a maintenance grant, payments of approved fees and dependents' and other allowances. To be eligible for an award you should normally possess at least an upper second-class honours degree or equivalent. If you are a resident of England or Wales, you can also apply for grants in humanities from the British Academy.

University contact

The Graduate School