INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH AND SOCIAL WELFARE

SHE Level 2
SCQF Credit Points 20.00
ECTS Credit Points 10.00
Module Code M2L408690
Module Leader n/a
School Glasgow School for Business and Society
Subject Economics
Trimester
  • A (September start)

Pre-Requisite Knowledge

Successful completion of BANS I

Summary of Content

The course is in the form of a introduction to health and social welfare which looks at the welfare state and provides students with the opportunity to examine a variety of basic principles which guide welfare provision. Specific areas of interest include, health, housing, education and poverty.

Syllabus

The Liberal Welfare ReformThe Post-War Welfare StateThe Rise of the Right: Welfare under PressureAccess Rationing and NeedPoverty and Social SecurityHealthProfessionalism and WelfareCare in the CommunityHousingEducationThe American Welfare State

Learning Outcomes

Students will have an understanding of the basic issues that influence the nature of social policy provision within the UK and will be able to address those issues analytically.The student will be able to satisfactorily complete essay assignments, answer a range of examination questions on syllabus material and make oral seminar presentations and contributions as required.AssessmentTwo 2500 word essays which in total will constitute 40% of each students final assessment. The examination will account for the remaining 60% of marks on offer.

Teaching / Learning Strategy

Delivery of the course is based upon two one hour lectures per week and one seminar per fortnight. Students will be expected to undertake a programme of directed reading through the use of specified texts which are identified in a topic based reading list. Seminar presentations and individual and assignments is an integral part of this programme of directed reading.

Indicative Reading

Johnson, N., Reconstructing the Welfare StateSullivan, M., The Politics and Social PolicyMishra, R., The Welfare State in CrisisClarke et al, Managing Social PolicyJones, K., The Making of Social Policy in BritainPeden, G.C., British Economic and Social Policy

Module Structure

Activity Total Hours
Assessment (FT) 30.00
Lectures (FT) 24.00
Independent Learning (FT) 116.00
Tutorials (FT) 5.00