Visa Immigration Support and Advice (VISA) can support you with your visa application and have now launched "Remote visa submission appointments" for eligible students, allowing us to guide students through the visa application process via video-call and screen-share.
For more information, please get in touch via email on for assistance from a VISA Advisor.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

If you are beginning a new course your CAS will be issued from GCU Admissions. You will be notified when it has been released to VISA.

If you are a continuing student you must apply via the online store. There is a £45 administrative charge. Please note it takes around 20 days for your CAS to be issued. Your CAS will be sent directly to VISA where an advisor can provide you with a copy once we have submitted a valid visa application. It is your responsibility to check there are no errors on your CAS during the CAS Data Check; if there are errors please discuss this with Admissions or Registry.

Documents used to obtain your CAS

If you have recently been accepted onto, and issued a CAS for a new programme of study at GCU, you will need to provide the original qualification documents named on your CAS with your Tier 4 application. These will most likely include degree certificates, academic transcripts or other awards from previous study.
The VISA advisor will ensure you submit all the correct documents, and if you have any questions, please speak with an advisor. All documents submitted must be:

  • Original (no photocopies)
  • In English or if not in English, accompanied by an official translation by a certified translator. For more information on certified translation companies in Glasgow, contact a VISA advisor: or in London:
Tier 4 General Student Application

This is filled out and submitted online on the UKVI website. You can access online application here.

You will be required to enter GCU's Sponsor Licence. This can be obtained from VISA. When completing the form, please fill out sections of the form using your passport, current visa and documents and leave the parts you are unsure of; VISA will help you fill the blank sections of your application. You can save your application at any time, but once you have paid your fee, the form cannot be changed, therefore you should not submit and pay your fee until an advisor has checked your online application and added your CAS reference number to confirm it is a valid application through the VISA Check and Submit Service.

Under your GCU International Student Terms and Conditions, it is mandatory for students to process visa extensions in the UK through the VISA Team.

Our handy guide to Tier 4 online applications will provide support on how to fill out each section of the online form. Please stop when instructed to do so in the guide as your CAS details are provided once the VISA Advisor has checked your answers and all supporting documents are ready to submit.

The new process requires all applicants to attend an appointment with the UK Visa and Citizenship Application Serivces (UKVCAS) to submit their supporting documents to the Home Office electronically. Documents will be uploaded prior to the appointment but all originals should be taken in case of issues.

You will pay for your Biometric Enrolment  (£19.20) as part of the online application fee and you will complete the biometric enrolment at your appointment.  If you wish a priority appointment with this service an additional fee of £100 per person is charged.

Please Note: NO travel outside the UK before you receive a decision

Applicants under the new system keep their passport throughout the application process. If you leave the Common Travel Area (the UK, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) and travel on the passport you used in your application before the Home Office makes a decision, you are automatically treated as having withdrawn your application. You Immigration Health Surcharge should be refunded, but your application fee will not be refunded. You will usually have to make another immigration application before returning to the UK.

It is important that you speak to an advisor before you withdraw your application as doing so is likely to have consequences both for your current immigration status and for any future immigration you may make.


You will be required to submit your current and any previous passports with your application. It is your responsibility to check when your passport expires and renew it if necessary.

The University will monitor your passport expiry date and you will be emailed a reminder to renew your passport before it expires. We will also check your passport expiry at Tier 4 Attendance Monitoring Checkpoints in line with GCU's Tier 4 Sponsor Duties.


The application fee for a postal application is £475 and Biometric Enrolment Fee £19.20 (plus the Immigration Health Surcharge). This is paid by debit/credit card once you have completed the online form. Remember that the fee is non refundable and you cannot change any answers once it is paid, so you must make sure an VISA advisor has checked your application before payment.

If you wish to use the Priority service the fee is £949.20 (plus the Immigration Health Surcharge) per person. Superpriority service the fee is £1,294.20 (plus the Immigration Health Surcharge) per person. A priority appointment at the UKVCAS has an additional fee of £100 per person., 

(For Entry Clearance Visas, applications submitted outside the UK, the application fee is £348).

Bank Statements

You are required to submit original paper bank statements as part of your visa application. For clarification on your maintenance requirements, please speak with an VISA advisor.

Note: Maintenance levels are currently £1,015 per month (£1,265 for GCU London). Therefore if your course lasts for nine months or more you will have to show £9,135 (£11,385 in London) (except for Tier 4 DES who show 2 months), or to the end of your course whichever is shorter.

Your bank statement must fulfil certain criteria to be considered acceptable to the Home Office. Please note that the required level of maintenance must be visible in the account for at least 28 consecutive days, and the closing balance cannot be more than 1 month ago on the date the application is sent.

Bank statements must include the following:

  • the student’s or their parents(s)/legal guardian’s name; and
  • the account number; and
  • the date of the statement; and
  • the financial institution’s name and logo; and
  • the amount of money available.

If you wish to submit electronic statements from an online account, they must show all of the above and in addition you must provide either a letter on company headed paper confirming the statements provided are genuine, or alternatively, the official stamp of the bank must appear on every page.

If you wish to use bank statements from home the recommended UKVI currency convertor is OANDA. Please use this to calculate all fees and living costs required in £ sterling to ensure you have sufficient funds.

You may also submit bank statements belonging to your parents, further guidance below.

Parent's Bank Statements and Supporting Documents

If you intend to use your parent's bank statements to show either your maintenance requirement or course fees, (or both) you will require the following original documents to be submitted with your visa application:

  • Your parents' (father's, mother's, or both) bank statements showing a minimum of 28 day period.
  • Your birth certificate/household register/adoption certificate.
  • A letter written by your parent or legal guardian stating your relationship to them and confirmation they give consent for you to use the funds for your stay in the UK during your studies at GCU.

The recommended UKVI currency convertor is OANDA. Please use this to calculate all fees and living costs required in £ sterling to ensure you have sufficient funds.

For further information on using your parents bank statements, please speak with an VISA adviser. We can check your documents over email to ensure they are in line with UKVI regulations before they are sent to you in the UK.

Documents not in English/Welsh

If you are submitting original documents, such as qualifications, birth certificate or bank statements which are not in English or Welsh you must provide an official translation.

If you are in the UK the original must be accompanied by a fully certified translation by a professional translator/translation company. This translation must include:

  • details of the translator/translation company’s credentials; and
  • confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document; and the translator/translation company’s contact details. It must also be dated and include the original signature of the translator or an authorised official of the translation company.

Please contact or for details of translation companies available in Glasgow and London.

If you are outside the UK the original must be accompanied by a full translation that can be independently verified by the Home Office. The original translation must contain confirmation from the translator/translation company that it is an accurate translation of the original document, the date of the translation, the translator/an authorised official of the translation company’s full name and signature, and the translator/translation company’s contact details.

Biometric Resident Permit (BRP)

If you are in possession of a BRP card, you must submit this with your application. You will receive a new BRP card with your new visa expiry date on it.

Your BRP card will be returned to the UKVI when you apply for a new visa if you have existing leave. For your personal records, it is advisable to retain a scanned copy or photocopy.

Visit our BRP section for more information.

UK Driving Licence

If you hold a UK Driving Licence, you will be required to submit this with your Tier 4 application.

Low-Risk Nationals

If you are a national of a country listed on Immigration Rules Appendix H (Tier 4 Documentary Requirements) and applying from home or the UK, you can apply under the differentiation arrangements:

  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Barbados
  • Botswana
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Japan
  • Malaysia
  • New Zealand
  • Oman
  • Qatar
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United States of America

Or a holder of one of the following passports:

  • Hong Kong SAR
  • Taiwan
  • British National Overseas

This means you are not normally required to submit bank statements or documents used to obtain your CAS. However, in line with UKVI Tier 4 Policy Guidance and VISA Tier 4 Procedure, you will be required to prepare these documents and show them to VISA as UKVI can request them at any point during your application. If they are requested and you do not provide them within the specified timescale, your application may be refused.

Police Registration Certificate

If you are required to register with the police and hold a police registration certificate, this must be submitted with your application. You must ensure that it is completely up to date:

  • Course and Place of Study
  • Address
  • Visa Details

For more information about Police Registration Certificate, visit our Police section of the website or have a look at our leaflet on advice on protecting you student visa status . You can also download our leaflet which will provide information on How do I register with the police?

Nationalities that usually need to register

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.

ATAS Clearance

You may be required to apply for an ATAS certificate when you apply for a visa for a new course or if you are extending your visa to continue your course. Your CAS will state whether this is required. It can take 20 days for FCO to issue your ATAS certificate once your apply online. Please read our page on ATAS for information on application process and see if this required for you.