Tier 4 students are entitled to work part-time in the UK during their studies. Your visa/BRP/conditions letter will clearly state the working hours permitted. It is the responsibility of you and your employer to ensure that you do not exceed these hours. If you do, you can both face serious penalties.

How to apply for a National Insurance (NI) Number

National Insurance (NI) Number

Every person working in the UK must have a National Insurance number. If you are an International or EU student you will need to apply for this in order to work while studying. You need to apply by phone.

If you’re moving to the UK you can only apply once you’re here. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number. Further information can be found on the gov.uk website 

If you lose or forget your National Insurance number you can find it from a number of sources. Further guidance is provided on the gov.uk website: Find a lost National Insurance Number

National Insurance number application line
  • Telephone: 0800 141 2075 

  • Textphone: 0800 141 2438

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

You can work full time (maximum 40 hours per week) during vacation time according to the University Semester Calendar. This does not include weeks when you may not have classes. If your programme operates outside the normal calendar dates please check with your Programme Leader for the vacation dates.

Working hours are calculated for a 7 day period beginning on a Monday.

Short Term Study visa holders are not allowed to work, paid or unpaid.

If you stop studying before completing your course you will no longer be entitled to work and will be in breach of your conditions of leave if found working.

See a VISA Advisor for more information on working during your studies. You can find further advice to protect your student visa status in our leaflet Protecting Your Student Visa Status 2019 

You can also find further information and guidance for working and employment regulations on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.