Your immigration conditions prohibit you from accessing 'public funds', which means certain specific welfare benefits and local authority housing. However, using the National Health Service, sending your child to a state school, being exempt from the Council Tax, and paying 'home' fees for study, do not count as accessing 'public funds'. See our info on Public funds for a full list of what is included.

If you claim public funds, despite having a 'no recourse to public funds' condition, you:

  • will be breaching the conditions of your immigration permission; and
  • may have problems obtaining an immigration extension in the UK; and
  • may be barred from coming back to the UK for at least 12 months (and, in some cases, five or ten years), under many categories and not just as a Student.