Skilled Workers

Tier 2 is the main immigration route for non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals who wish to work in the UK. If you wish to stay in the UK to work after you have finished your studies, there are concessions for full time Tier 4 students, which make it easier to get a Tier 2 visa.

You will need to obtain sponsorship from an employer who is listed on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Register of Sponsors and who can offer you skilled employment in the UK. 

A Tier 2 visa is linked to a particular employer and job in the UK.

IMPORTANT:  VISA do not process Tier 2 General applications however Advisors can answer queries you may have relating to Tier 2.

As well as offering support and tools for finding work or applying for jobs within the UK, the Careers Service can also assist you with putting together your CV and application form, as well as provide you with a practice interview. 


News update - March 2020: 

In March 2020, the government released new guidance for Tier 2 sponsors (including GCU) in light of Coronavirus (COVID-19). The VISA Team have reviewed this guidance and have provided information below on how the changes may impact you. If you have any questions, please contact


Tier 2: Information for GCU-sponsored Tier 2 employees:

  • Absence:

GCU will continue to sponsor employees who have taken absence(s) due to coronavirus and are not required to report employee absences related to coronavirus to the Home Office.

This can include absences due to illness, a need to isolate, or inability to travel due to travel restrictions.

GCU will not withdraw sponsorship if, because of coronavirus, you are absent from work without pay for more than 4 weeks.

These arrangements are based on Home Office Guidance, and will apply until 31 May 2020, when they will be reviewed by the Home Office. This guidance will be updated accordingly.

  • If you are working from home:

GCU do not have to notify the Home Office if you are working from home due to coronavirus.

Other changes to your working arrangements will still be reported as usual.

  • If GCU have issued a Certificate of Sponsorship (COS) and you have not yet applied for a visa:

You will still be able to apply for a visa.

The start date for the employment stated on the CoS may have changed. The Home Office will not automatically refuse such cases.

For example, The Home Office may accept a CoS if it has become invalid because you were unable to travel as a result of coronavirus. The Home Office will consider this on a case by case basis.

If you are a GCU sponsored Tier 2 employee impacted by Coronavirus, please contact the VISA Team on

  • You must have an offer of employment from a Tier 2 sponsor
    • Your employer will provide you with a Certificate of Sponsorship
  • The job must be at graduate level
    • SCQF level 10/RQF level 6 or above
  • The job must be matched against an applicable 'SOC Code'
    • This is the method that the UKVI uses for classifying jobs according to their title
  • You must prove your English language ability
    • You can use your UK degree award as evidence, or see the UKVI guidance for other evidence you can provide
  • You must prove that you have enough money to meet the maintenance requirements
    • You can submit personal bank statements showing that you have held at least £945 over a period of 90 days, ending not more than one month before the date of your application, OR;
    • Your sponsor may agree to certify your maintenance (this information will be included on the CoS)
  • You must provide evidence that you have completed, or are applying no more than 3 months before the expected completion date for, a programme leading to a UK recognised Bachelors or Masters degree (not a qualification of equivalent which is not a degree); or
  • You must provide evidence that you have completed at least 12 months of a PhD programme
  • You must have written consent from your financial sponsor
    • If you are currently sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency or have been sponsored within the 12-month period before you apply under Tier 2, then you must provide a letter from your financial sponsor confirming that you can remain in the UK to work
    • UKVI guidance states the letter must confirm unconditional consent to remain in or re-enter the UK for an unlimited time

Once you meet these requirements, and have been issued a CoS by your employer, then you can make a Tier 2 visa application online.

You must make your application from inside the UK to rely on the Tier 4 concessions.

There are a number of concessions available to students who are switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 to make it easier to apply:

  • Your employer does not have to carry out the Resident Labour Market Test (this is to do with advertising the position)
  • Your employer does not have to pay the Immigration Skills levy of up to £1000 per year of your visa
  • You can get 'unrestricted sponsorship', which makes it easier to issue a CoS
  • The minimum salary (£20,800 or industry minimum) is lower than other categories applying for Tier 2
  • You can start working for your employer once you have submitted a Tier 2 application if you have already successfully completed your programme; if you haven't yet successfully completed your programme, you can only start working for your employer once your Tier 2 visa has been granted. Your employer may have a specific policy on this so always check with them. 
Applying from outside the UK

If you wish to apply for Tier 2 from outside the UK, you cannot rely on the Tier 4 concessions. 

There will be additional requirements to be sponsored:

  • Your employer will have to carry out the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) which requires the position to be advertised for a specific amount of time to the UK resident labour market (i.e. settled workers who do not have visa restrictions on their stay in the UK). 
    • There are some exceptions to this (for example, if it is a PhD role or the job is on the shortage occupation list) and you should discuss these with your employer.
  • Your employer will have to obtain a restricted CoS
    • This requires prior approval from the UKVI and increases the timescale for obtaining the CoS.
    • The only exception is if your job has a salary of £159,600 or more
Making your application

You can find full information about how to apply for a Tier 2 visa on the UKVI website.