Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Your Biometric Residence Permit card is your proof of immigration and should be kept in a secure place with your passport unless required. 


What is biometric enrolment?

When you arrive in the UK with a 30 day vignette (sticker) in your passport, you need to enrol your biometric information (facial image and fingerprints) and collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card from the designated Post Office listed on your letter within 10 days of arrival. 

When you extend your visa from inside the UK, part of the application process will involve having to enrol your biometric information (facial image and fingerprints) at the Post Office. When your visa is granted, it will take the form of a biometric residence permit (BRP). This is a separate card that proves your right to live/study/work in the UK. For security reasons, the Home Office sends your BRP separately from your passport and supporting documents. 

What to do when you get your BRP

As soon as you receive your BRP, you should check it carefully (front and back) to ensure all the information on it is correct. If there are any errors, you must inform VISA immediately.

If your BRP is lost, stolen or damaged, you must let us know immediately. You also need to report the loss/theft immediately to the police and UKVI. The replacement form for a BRP is called BRP (RC); we can assist you with this application. You also need to obtain a replacement if you change your name (for example by marriage), nationality, gender, or if there is a significant change in your facial appearance.

View the UKVI website and  information document on BRPs.


If there are any errors, you must inform VISA immediately.


Our handy postcard with advice on what to do if your BRP or passport are lost or stolen can be obtained from the VISA Team or the Campus Life Desk. You can also download it here What if I lose my BRP or passport? We recommend you carry one in your hand luggage or wallet when you travel with your passport and BRP card.

UKCISA provides information regarding problems with your passport and BRP card on their website. For more information on TOC, see the UKVI website.

If your BRP is lost or stolen and you are in the UK

You must report and apply for the replacement BRP card within 3 months. You must also report the loss/theft to obtain a police report. Please contact the VISA Team urgently for advice to protect your immigration status. Please contact the VISA Team to submit your online form. The fee is £56.

You can be fined up to £1000 and need to leave the UK if you don't apply for the replacement within 3 months.

If you BRP was valid for less than 3 months you don't have to get a replacement but you must report this to the Home Office as soon as possible.

If your BRP is lost or stolen and you are outside the UK

You must report your lost or stolen BRP to the Home Office as soon as possible.
You can't apply for the replacement BRP outside the UK. Instead you will need to get a replacement BRP visa which lets you re-enter the UK once only. The fee is £154. You must apply for the replacement BRP within one month of your return.