This page includes a quick VISA checklist when applying. 

For your Student Visa application you must:
  • Have a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from GCU
  • Pay the appropriate Immigration Heath Surcharge (IHS)
  • Submit all original documents (and official translations, if applicable) with your application:
    • Your passport(s)
    • Original Academic Qualification and Progression Evidence as stated on your CAS under 'Evidence Provided' section
    • Original English Language Qualification if required as stated on your CAS
    • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate if required
    • UKVI approved translation of any documents not in English/Welsh
    • Tuberculosis (TB) Test Certificate if required
    • Original Financial Evidence 
    • Police Registration Certificate (up-to-date) if you are already in the UK and you are required to do so

As part of your visa application, you will need to demonstrate you are able to pay your course fees to the university and can financially support you (and any dependants) for the duration of your studies in the UK. The Home Office require evidence to prove that you are able to pay your tuition fees for the academic year, plus a set amount for your living costs. If you are a low-risk national you do not need to send financial evidence, but you must have the original document available in case you are asked for it.

How much Money do I Need to Show for my Visa Application?

You need to have sufficient funds available to cover:

  • The remainder of your tuition fees for your first year of study
  • Living costs up to a maximum of 9 months
  • Immigration Health Surcharge (£470 per annum for every year of study and £235 for part year up to 6 months thereafter in the United Kingdom).  Full details on the Immigration Health Surcharge can be found on the UK government website and further details on how to pay will be provided with your CAS Data Check.
  • Visa application fees. This does not have to be maintained for 28 days, but you must show the funds are held in addition to your tuition fees and living costs if you are using the same account.

The current maintenance funds for living costs required for a Student visa are:

£1015 per month up to a maximum of 9 months (totalling £9,135) if you are studying in Glasgow

£1265 per month up to a maximum of 9 months (totalling £11,385) if you are studying in London.

Please check for an up-to-date exchange rate to ensure that the amount held in your account in your local currency is sufficient.
We recommend that you maintain an additional 0.5% to 1% in your accounts to allow for any currency fluctuation.

You can receive official financial sponsorship from Her Majesty’s Government, your home government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or a UK independent school.

If your financial sponsor will only provide some of your living costs, you must provide financial evidence which demonstrates the remaining living costs. For example, if you are receiving £1000 per month from your financial sponsor, you will be required to show funds for the remaining £15 for Glasgow, or £265 for London, per month up to a maximum of 9 months.

If you are living at Caledonian Court (GCU’s on-campus student accommodation in Glasgow) and have made payments to the university for your Accommodation, this will be stated on your CAS and you can deduct a maximum of £1265 from your living costs total.

What Financial Documents do I Need to Send to the University?

You need to send scanned copies of your financial documents that you are going to use to support your visa application.  These should be in colour and scanned at their original size. Send these as jpg or pdf format to

Please note you must submit the original documents when making your visa application ensuring they meet UKVI Requirements for a Student Visa application.

Can I Use my Parents' Bank Statements?

If you intend to use your parents’ bank statements to show either your living costs or course fees, (or both) you will require the following original documents:

  • Your parents' (father's, mother's, or both) or legal guardian’s bank statements showing a minimum of 28 day period. 
  • Your birth certificate/ household register/ adoption certificate.
  • A letter from your parents or legal guardians confirming your relationship and their consent to use their funds. This must be signed and dated within 31 days before the date of your visa application.
Can I Use More than One Bank Account?

Yes. If you wish to use funds from more than one account please send copies of the information from all the accounts.