Register with a Doctor

This page will give you information below on how to find/register with a doctor or find out how to get a prescription or were your nearest chemist is.

You need to register with a local doctor (GP).

If you are moving away from home to Glasgow, you will need to register with a local general practitioner (GP). You are entitled to free essential NHS care and this includes a GP.

How to find a doctor

Please visit NHS to find a doctor near you. You only have to enter your postcode and all the available doctors (and dentists) will be located.

If you are staying at Caledonian Court, they will have registration forms for the nearest surgery, which is Woodside, available at reception when you move in. 

Woodside Health Centre,
Barr Street,
Glasgow G20 7LR

How to register

If you are eligible to register with Woodside Health Centre, which is the nearest GP Surgery to the University. Download the registration form, print off the form, complete it and post it back to them using the 'freepost' address given on the form - it won't cost you a penny!

You will need an individual form for you and any family members who have moved with you.

You can contact NHS 24, which is a 24 hour helpline for advice on 08454 24 24 24 or visit the NHS website

If you are an international student, looking for more information, visit our International students page. 


Your doctor may prescribe some medicine for you. This is called a prescription, and you will only be able to get this document from your doctor. You will need to take your prescription a pharmacy (or chemist as they are also known as).

Pharmacy / Chemist

You should take your prescription to your local chemist and they will help you complete the form. The nearest chemist to the University is:

Boots the Chemist
Level 1,220 Buchanan Galleries
Buchanan Street
G1 2GF
Tel: 0141 333 9306