NAS_ResizedLogoWhilst you might be looking forward to graduation and excited for the future, it is common to sometimes feel a little anxious about getting a job and what you are going to do after university. If you are currently receiving help from either our Mental Health Adviser or the Counselling team, now could be a good time to discuss any worries that you might have so you will have a plan in place for when you leave university.

What happens if I feel anxious after I’ve graduated and I would like to talk to someone?

If you are ever worried about the way you are feeling or if you are having troublesome thoughts, making an appointment with your GP is the best way to receive help. Your GP will listen to you and give you non-judgemental advice and support to help you feel better. They can give you advice on possible support services you can access such as seeing a counsellor or a psychologist. They are the ones who will also be able to make a referral for you to see a specialist if it is appropriate.

How do I ask my GP for advice on my mental health?

Some people find it helpful to prepare for their GP appointment in advance by writing down everything they would like to discuss. This can be a summary of how you have been feeling lately and the areas which are causing you concern. Some people also like to go into their appointment with a list of questions they would to ask the GP. 

Mind.Org have a great guide which helps people ‘find the words’ to talk to their GP about their mental health and what to expect at their first appointment. They have provided a video on how to speak to your GP about your mental health. They also have an in-depth guide on helping people to prepare for their first appointment

What will I do if I need urgent help?

If you feel that you are at crisis point and you are worried, or are having thoughts about harming yourself or others then please call your GP as soon as possible. If your GP surgery is closed then call NHS 24 on 111.

You can also contact:

The Samaritans on: 08457 90 90 90

Breathing Space on: 0800 83 85 87

HOPELineUK on:  0800 068 41 41 or text 07786209697 or email:

Self-Help resources

Self-help resources can be a good way to find out information and provide guidance on a problem you may be having. They should not be used instead of seeking professional help, but rather can be used whilst you wait on being referred to a GP or counselling. 

GCU Wellbeing Self Help Resources

The GCU Wellbeing team has compiled a range of resources for students and staff to access online, you can find these resources at the Self-Help Webpages.

Wellbeing Glasgow

Wellbeing Glasgow offer a variety of self-help materials and courses based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). They offer resources on many topics such as: 


Moodjuice is a self-help website developed by the Forth Valley NHS. The site allows users to explore many areas which are common for people to have difficulties with such as; Bereavement, Obsessions and compulsions, Assertiveness and Stress. Whilst you can look at each guide offering self-help strategies, there are also useful links to literature and organisations which offer support.

Living Life to the Full (LLTTF)

Living Life to the Full (LLTTF) is a self-help website which was created by an accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapist. LLTTF offers a wide range of online courses to help people understand and cope with various difficulties. Signing up is free and you will be able to choose which course you would like to try. There are a wide range of courses to choose from such as; overcoming stress and low mood, living with long term conditions, coping with dental anxiety and coping with being a new parent.

Citizens Advice

Sometimes there might be situations where you need advice but you are not sure about who to ask. A great source of help can be the Citizens Advice Bureau which are located throughout Scotland. They help people get variety of free advice from benefits and housing advice to workplace rights and health. They will also provide advice on specific things such as jury duty and reasonable adjustments in the workplace. 

The National Autistic Society

The National Autistic Society has lots of advice on transitioning from university. For general advice on leaving university, such as planning for your future and knowing your rights in the workplace. Also provided is information about work and volunteering.

Acas (Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service)

Acas (Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service) provides advice and guidance on employment law and workplace relationships. The Acas website has lots of information on a range of areas concerning your rights in the workplace such as; working hours, discipline and wages. For a list of the most common areas Acas provides guidance. If you are looking for some specific advice about an issue you are having at work, you can contact them via online or by telephone via their contact information.