How do I fill in the form?

What sort of information should I include?

You must complete the Personal Impact Statement section of the form. Use this part of the form to explain how the mitigating circumstances , medical or otherwise affected you personally in relation to your ability to complete your studies.

You must outline as much information as you feel the board needs to know and which you feel comfortable disclosing. You could include details of the situation that has affected you and how this may have impacted on you emotionally. You must include details of how the circumstances have affected your studies, without this information , the Mitigating Circumstances Board will not be able to consider your application.

What evidence do I need to attach to my form?

You must include appropriate supporting evidence.

If the mitigating circumstances relates to a medical issue, a medical certificate (or letter on  letter headed or officially stamped paper) sourced from a visit to a UK based GP, is required  -  a self-certificate form is not acceptable evidence.

If you have been affected by the illness of a close family member or a family bereavement, you need to use the Personal Impact Statement to explain how this impacted on you personally in relation to your ability to complete your studies. In this case, you will need to provide evidence relating directly to you in support of your Personal Impact Statement e.g. a medical certificate or letter from a medical practitioner.

If the mitigating circumstances are not due to a medical issue you are required to provide other appropriate evidence or appropriate written corroboration, e.g. a police incident number, death certificate. It is not appropriate to submit uncorroborated statements from tutors or other people whose knowledge of your condition or circumstances is through you informing them of it.

Whatever the nature of the supporting evidence, you must ensure it contains the necessary details to clearly relate it to the specific dates during which the mitigating circumstances were applicable. If you do not do so it is likely that your MCF/RMCF will not be accepted. All evidence must be submitted in English.

For RMCF you must also provide evidence as to why you were not able to submit a MCF within the deadline stated and are applying for retrospective MCs.   

You should download and read the Helpsheet for students before completing the MCF/RMCF Form.

Who can help me fill it in?

If you need additional help or support to complete the form you should contact your Academic Advisor or  the Advice Centre in the Students' Association.