Assessing & Communicating your Needs

If you think that your condition or impairment may have an impact on your studies or how you engage with university life, then you are encouraged to make an appointment with one of our Disability Advisers.

A Disability Adviser will discuss your concerns with you, in an informal and confidential one-to-one setting, and will advise you whether they would regard any individual adjustments, services or facilities to be of benefit to you. These discussions are called a ‘Needs Assessment’.

Providing evidence of your disability

You will need to provide the Disability Adviser - ideally in advance of your meeting – with written evidence of your condition or impairment before we can consider access to any of the additional services or facilities detailed in this section.

Acceptable evidence may include:

  • An Educational Psychologist’s report which confirms a diagnosis of a specific learning difficulty
  • A letter from a suitably qualified medical practitioner (GP, Psychiatrist, Consultant etc) confirming your medical condition or impairment and its effect

Please note that we CANNOT accept as evidence of a condition or impairment: A letter/report from a school, confirming that you had additional learning support or extra time in your exams (unless it is accompanied by medical/diagnostic evidence, as above).

Communicating your needs to other staff at GCU

Any agreed outcomes of these discussions, including recommended adjustments to learning and assessment arrangements, will be communicated only to those who need to know (and only with your express permission). This information is communicated electronically via a 'Recommended Adjustments Page', commonly referred to as a RAP.