The Disability Team can assist students by:
- Providing information and advice regarding provisions and services made by GCU for disabled students
- Providing supported referral for diagnostic assessment, including assessment for dyslexia, where necessary
- Providing a Needs Assessment service for individual disabled applicants and students, which considers the impact of disability on study, and may result in recommendations for additional support or adjustments to teaching and assessment arrangements (such as provision of information in alternative formats or additional time in exams)
- Assisting disabled students to secure appropriate services (such as communication support or personal assistance) through liaison with external agencies
- Assisting students to access, and receive training in, appropriate assistive technology and software
- Where appropriate, assisting students to apply for Disabled Students Allowance to offset costs related to recommended services and equipment
The Disability Service can also assist staff by offering information, advice and training related to the support of disabled students, and the promotion of accessible and inclusive teaching and service provision.
The Disability Team is committed to promoting the development of independent learning skills and supports disabled students in the identification and application of appropriate strategies, tools and services towards this end. For further information regarding our approach to supporting students, see the ‘Rights and Responsibilities’ section.