Frequently Asked Questions

I have lost my Student ID card?

First ask at the Campus Life Desk (1st floor George Moore building) if your card has been handed in. Alternatively, you can email

The fee for a replacement card is £15. Pay online through the University's online store. You will find replacement cards under Student Essentials. You will need your student ID number or your username. You must show your receipt when collecting your card at Campus Life Desk or you can request at the time of payment, to have this posted to you.

If your card has been stolen, bring the crime reference number issued by the police to the Campus Life Desk. We will issue a new card free of charge.
You will still have to pay the lost card fee if you only have a pink Loss Report slip from the Police.

How do I request a letter to confirm my student status?

During your time at the University, you maybe asked to confirm your status as a current student. A confirmation of student status letter will verify: your course details and start date, your expected completion date and your graduation date (if applicable). To request a ltter, please visit My Service on the homepage

I am struggling with financial hardship, who can help?

The Student Funding Team can give you information and support on the funding that you are entitled to. They have a drop-in and appointment based service that offers practical advice and guidance on scholarships and funding options that may be available to you. They can be located at the Campus Lounge in the George Moore building, Level 1. 

Do I need to pay Council Tax?

Whilst you are a full time student at GCU, you do not have to pay Council Tax. However, you will need to contact your local Council to inform them you are a current student. If you move address this must be updated by you at the Campus Life Desk, as well as informing your local Council.

Students that live within Glasgow City Council, the Student Records department sends a list of exempt students to Glasgow City Council on a regular basis.

Students that live outwith the Glasgow area will need to request a Council Tax Exemption Letter. This can be requested through My Service.

  • You need to login using your domain username and password
  • Under the my service menu, click Request, then browse Request Catalogue
  • For Council Tax, choose standard letter
  • Click on submit and the letter will be emailed to your University email account
  • You should sent the letter to your local council along with their exemption claim form
How do I request academic transcript?

All current students can request academic transcript in person from the Campus Life Desk. If you are no longer a student this can be requested online by visiting Registry

Can I speak to a Careers Advisor?

There are a number of different appointments which you can make depending on your enquiry to speak to one of our Careers advisors. Please see the careers website to find out the options of appointments which are available. 

To make an appointment with an advisor, you can book this here.

Who can I speak to privately?

The Student Wellbeing team provides a free and confidential advice and support service. We offer a friendly face and a listening ear in a safe and non-judgemental environment. Our aim is to support you through your time at University and help you to achieve your academic success.

Struggling with academic writing, referencing, time management and study skills?

The Learning Development Centres can help with academic writing support for home and international students, ICT support, advice on study skills and other academic support and guidance. Sessions are delivered face to face and online through combination of workshops, small group sessions and one to one appointments.

How do I contact IT?

The Campus Life Desk has a phone that connects directly to IT.

There are a few options available for resetting passwords, click here to find out more.
For all general enquiries please visit the I.T. website. Alternatively you can log queries through My Service.