There are several visa options for overseas academics wanting to visit the UK to interact with institutions.

An Academic visitors leaflet has been produced by the UKVI to explain the different visa routes and conditions.

 Academics and researchers applying for the 6 month visit visa (standard) may:

  1. gather information and facts for a specific project which directly relates to their employment overseas;
  2. attend a conference/meeting
  3. share knowledge or advise on an international project that is being led from the UK, provided the visitor is not carrying out research in the UK.
  4. accompany students on a study abroad programme

 An academic applying for a 12 month visit visa (standard) must intend to do one (or more) of the permitted activities:

Academics may:

  1. take part in formal exchange arrangements with UK counterparts (including doctors);
  2. carry out research for their own purposes if they are on sabbatical leave from their home institution;
  3. if they are an eminent senior doctor or dentist, take part in research, teaching or clinical practice provided this does not amount to filling a permanent teaching post.

and must:

  1. be highly qualified within their own field of expertise; and
  2. be currently working in that field at an academic institution or institution of higher education overseas; and
  3. if required, provide a TB certificate

Please contact VISA on or GCU London: for further advice and support.