What documents do I need to apply for my visa?

Visa Checklist

For your Tier 4 Student Visa application you must:

  • Have a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from GCU
  • Pay the appropriate Immigration Heath Surcharge (IHS)
  • Submit all original documents (and official translations, if applicable) with your application:
    • Your passport(s)
    • 2 x passport-size photographs
    • Original Academic Qualification and Progression Evidence as stated on your CAS under 'Evidence Provided' section
    • Original English Language Qualification if required as stated on your CAS
    • Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) Certificate if required
    • UKVI approved translation of any documents not in English/Welsh
    • Tuberculosis (TB) Test Certificate if required
    • Original Financial Evidence (Maintenance)
    • Police Registration Certificate (up-to-date) if you are already in the UK and you are required to do so


As part of your visa application, you will need to demonstrate you are able to pay your course fees to the university and can financially support you (and any dependants) for the duration of your studies in the UK. This is known as Maintenance.

The Home Office require maintenance evidence to prove that you are able to pay your tuition fees for the academic year, plus a set amount for your living costs. If you are a low-risk national you do not need to send financial evidence, but you must have the original document available in case you are asked for it.

How much Money do I Need to Show for my Visa Application?

You need to have sufficient funds available to cover:

  • The remainder of your tuition fees for your first year of study
  • Living costs up to a maximum of 9 months
  • Immigration Health Surcharge (£150 per annum for every year of study in the United Kingdom).  Full details on the Immigration Health Surcharge can be found on the UK government website and further details on how to pay will be provided with your CAS Data Check.
  • Visa application fees. This does not have to be maintained for 28 days, but you must show the funds are held in addition to your tuition fees and living costs if you are using the same account.

The current (April 2018) maintenance funds for living costs required for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa are:

£1015 per month up to a maximum of 9 months (totalling £9,135) if you are studying in Glasgow

£1265 per month up to a maximum of 9 months (totalling £11,385) if you are studying in London.

Please check www.oanda.com for an up-to-date exchange rate to ensure that the amount held in your account in your local currency is sufficient.
We recommend that you maintain an additional 0.5% to 1% in your accounts to allow for any currency fluctuation.

You can receive official financial sponsorship from Her Majesty’s Government, your home government, the British Council or any international organisation, international company, university or a UK independent school.

If your financial sponsor will only provide some of your living costs, you must provide financial evidence which demonstrates the remaining living costs. For example, if you are receiving £1000 per month from your financial sponsor, you will be required to show funds for the remaining £15 for Glasgow, or £265 for London, per month up to a maximum of 9 months.

If you are living at Caledonian Court (GCU’s on-campus student accommodation in Glasgow) and have made payments to the university for your Accommodation, this will be stated on your CAS and you can deduct a maximum of £1265 from your living costs total.

What Documents can I Submit to Show my Funds?

When you apply for your visa, you need to submit supporting financial documents which meet the formal requirements of UKVI. Your CAS will state how much fees you have paid and any university Accommodation fees paid. UKVI will use this information to calculate your required living costs.
The UKVI may contact your official sponsor, bank  or loan provider to verify funds.

You can demonstrate these funds with the following documents:

  • Official Financial Sponsor Letter - This must be on official letter-headed paper with an official stamp of the organisation. Letter must include:
    • Your name
    • The name and contact details of your official financial sponsor
    • Issue date of the letter which must be dated within 31 days of your visa application submission date
    • The period you will be sponsored
    • The amount of funds the sponsor is providing to you on a monthly basis or a statement to confirm they will cover all of your fees and living costs
    • Their unconditional consent including sponsor’s permission to stay or re-enter the UK for the duration of your course.
    • Your dependants if also financially sponsored.
  • Bank Statements/Bank Letter - You can use more than one account to demonstrate the required maintenance funds. The statement should be issued on bank’s letter-headed paper and include:
    • Your name or your parent’s/legal guardian’s name
    • The account number
    • The financial institution’s name and logo
    • The amount of required funds for a consecutive 28 day period with the date of the closing balance dated no more than 31 days before your application submission date.

Printed ad-hoc bank statements must be printed on the bank’s letter-headed paper. You can submit electronic bank statements printed from your online account if they are verified by the bank. Each page must be stamped with the bank’s official stamp or this should be accompanied with a bank letter confirming the information as listed above (see bank statements).

We can accept a letter from the bank confirming funds held providing this meets all of the criteria as above for bank statements.

 If you are applying with your parent’s/ legal guardian’s bank statements, you must provide:

    • Your birth certificate/adoption certificate or your family registration card
    • A letter from your parents confirming your relationship and their consent to use their funds
  • Loan letter - This must be dated no more than 6 months before the date of your application. The letter must be original and include:
    • Your name
    • Date of letter issue
    • Financial institution’s name and logo
    • Confirmation money available to you as a loan provided by your government, a government sponsored student loan company or part of an educational loans scheme.

UKVI do not accept financial evidence from other family or relatives. English translations, which meet UKVI requirements, should also be included if any of these documents are not in English.


  • Certificate of Deposit (common in China) - These can be acceptable however the Home Office requires instant access to funds as part of their maintenance requirements, therefore the document must not include any statements which suggest funds are not instantly accessible. The certificate must include:
    • Your name or your parent’s/legal guardian’s name
    • The account number
    • The financial institution’s name and logo
    • The amount of required funds for a consecutive 28 day period with the date of the closing balance dated no more than 31 days before your application submission date.
What Financial Documents do I Need to Send to the University?

You need to send scanned copies of your financial documents that you are going to use to support your visa application.  These should be in colour and scanned at their original size.  Send these as jpg or pdf format to admissions@gcu.ac.uk

Please note you must submit the original documents when making your visa application ensuring they meet UKVI Requirements for a Tier 4 Student Visa application.

Can I Use my Parents' Bank Statements?

If you intend to use your parents’ bank statements to show either your maintenance requirement or course fees, (or both) you will require the following original documents:

  • Your parents' (father's, mother's, or both) or legal guardian’s bank statements showing a minimum of 28 day period. 
  • Your birth certificate/ household register/ adoption certificate.
  • A letter from your parents or legal guardians confirming your relationship and their consent to use their funds. This must be signed and dated within 31 days of the date of your visa application.
Can I Use More than One Bank Account?

Yes.  If you wish to use funds from more than one account please send copies of the information from all the accounts.