Visas and Immigration

Visa Immigration Support and Advice (VISA) are the only team at GCU trained to give you advice and assistance with your visa. All information and advice given is confidential and unique to your circumstances. 

The UKVI has produced helpful Tier 4 DES Visa and Top Tips - Student Visas to ensure that making your application is quick and straightforward.

If you are applying for your Tier 4 visa from your home country, please read our information on Apply from outside the UK. Remember that you can email ( us at any point with any questions you may have. We can assist you if you have problems filling out the application form, and check any documents over email.

If you are applying for your Tier 4 visa from within the UK, we will advise you on the documents you need to submit, help you fill out the form, and send your application for you through our Check and Send Service. For information on applying for Tier 4 from the UK, see Apply from inside the UK (remember to email VISA). You can also phone us or visit us in person.

If you are applying for a Short-Term Study visa, please click for further information.

There is also guidance available on other types of visas; please read the other web-pages in this "Visa Information" section, and contact us if you have any questions. Further information about the service and contact details can be found in our leaflet Your Student Visa

If you are applying for your visa from within the UK, you must submit your visa application through VISA under the International Student Terms and Conditions. All visa extensions submitted in the UK must be processed through VISA.


UKVI has a link to access the application form to apply or extend your Tier 4 Student Visa. You will require the University's sponsor licence to complete the first stage, you can find this on your CAS. For those extending in the UK please contact VISA for the sponsor licence. The CAS will be issued by VISA at the point of submission if you are extending in the UK.

Tier 4 students are entitled to work part-time in the UK during their studies. Your visa/BRP/conditions letter will clearly state the working hours permitted. It is the responsibility of you and your employer to ensure that you do not exceed these hours. If you do, you can both face serious penalties.

You can work full time (maximum 40 hours per week) during vacation time according to the University Semester Calendar. This does not include weeks when you may not have classes. If your programme operates outside the normal calendar dates please check with your Programme Leader for the vacation dates.

Working hours are calculated as a 7 day period beginning on a Monday.

Short Term Study visa holders are not allowed to work, paid or unpaid.

If you stop studying before completing your course you will no longer be entitled to work and will be in breach of your conditions of leave if found working.

See a VISA Advisor for more information on working during your studies. Further information can be found on how to protect your student visa status in our leaflet Protecting Your Student Visa

For Android phone users there is a handy free calculator to assist in working out the total number of hours worked: Tier 4 Work Hours Calculator