Information on BREXIT for Glasgow Caledonian University students 

Following the result of the EU Referendum in 2016, the UK is expected to leave the European Union. If you’re a current student or if you’re thinking about studying at the University, you probably have questions about what Brexit means for you. Below you’ll find guidance on some frequently asked questions related to studying and working here after the UK leaves the EU – as well as links to the most up-to-date information available from relevant bodies.

This video from Study UK offers helpful guidance on fees, visas and staying in the UK after Brexit. 


Tuition Fees information

The Scottish Government has confirmed free tuition in Scotland for current undergraduate & postgraduate EU students commencing their studies in 2019 and 2020. Students will be admitted as Scottish/EU fee status students and retain that status for the duration of their studies. 

If you’re an undergraduate student from the EU already studying here, you’ll still be entitled to tuition fee support from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) for the duration of your course.

Current postgraduate students from the EU will still pay the same fees agreed on entry and have access to the same funding sources.

You can find information on Tuition fees for future EU students

Students currently in receipt of Research Council funding will continue to receive funding under existing arrangements and students starting in 2019/20  will remain eligible to apply. For more information visit the UKRI website

If you receive funding from another source, such as a scholarship, your scholarship provider should be able to confirm your funding position.

Do I need to do anything to make sure I can stay in the UK after Brexit?

The UK Government has established a scheme for EU/EEA nationals and their families who are resident in the UK to apply for Settled or Pre-settled status. Applying through this scheme will provide a way for you to confirm your residence in the UK and secure your right to stay. Current information from the UK Government is that this scheme will operate whether the UK leaves with a deal or not, but the details and deadlines will change if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. You can read more about the scheme on the UK Government pages.  UKCISA have prepared advice about a "no deal" scenario.

You can download a status letter confirming your registration via My service. This may be useful evidence if you are making an application under the scheme. 

Although you can travel within the EEA with a national identity card, it may be helpful to ensure you also have an up to date passport and to keep evidence such as a student status letter and any bills for utilities or rent which show that you were living in the UK before the date of exit from the EU.

Will I be able to live and work in the UK after I graduate?

EU citizens who wish to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021 will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

The EU Settlement Scheme is running as a pilot scheme just now and is slated to fully open for applications on March 30 2019.

If you have been living continuously in the UK for five years, you can gain “settled status” and if less than five years, you can gain “pre-settled status”.  As soon as you reach the five year threshold you can change your status to “settled”. 

The EU Settlement Scheme is now open to most students, who are eligible to apply if they are either:

  • An EU national with a valid passport (not identity card)
  • A non-EU citizen who has a residence card or permanent residence card issued on the basis of an application made under EU law provisions on or after 6 April 2015

Please visit the UK Government website, or the UK Council for International Student Affairs website, for information on who should consider applying under this scheme and updates on post-Brexit rules and entitlements.

EU Settlement Scheme

The EU Settlement Scheme is designed to offer EU, EEA and Swiss nationals (as well as their family members) living in the UK the opportunity to protect their status in the UK after Brexit. Despite its name, the EU Settlement Scheme is not only for those who intend to settle in the UK. Those eligible to apply under the scheme can do so if they wish to remain in the UK after Brexit and the relevant implementation period.

If you are resident in the UK before 31 December 2020, and wish to continue to live and work in the UK after this date, you will need to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme. You will need to apply by 30 June 2021. Applicants can be granted ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled-status’, depending on how long they have lived in the UK. If you can demonstrate that you have been living in the UK continuously for five years, you will be able to apply for ‘settled’ status.  If you have been living in the UK for less than five years, you will be granted ‘pre-settled’ status and will be able to update this to ‘settled’ status when you have been continuously resident for five years.

In the event of a No Deal, and assuming you were already living in the UK at exit date, you will have until 31 December 2020 to apply to the Scheme.  If you arrive in the UK after 11pm on 31 October 2019, you will need to apply for European Temporary Leave to Remain if you wish to stay in the UK after 31 December 2020. 

EU/EEA students currently on exchange outside the UK

If you are an EU or EEA student and you are currently studying on Erasmus or a Study Abroad arrangement, your right to stay in your host country should not be affected by Brexit.

You should however consult the information on this page for current EU/EEA studets and  the information linked below:

Immigration regulations for current EU students/ students starting in 2019

The latest information we have from the Government is that students who are here now will not have to conform to any new immigration regulations.

EU students beginning in 2019 will not need visas nor do anything different than EU students do currently. If a “transition period” is confirmed, this will remain the situation for as long as the transition period lasts.

Latest UK Government communication in the event of a No Deal

Latest communication sent by the UK Government in relation to UK's exit from the European Union and EU citizens rights:

 The Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union today set out information for EU citizens and their family members in the UK in the event of a no deal exit from the EU.

The UK Government:

  • Confirms that if there is no deal, the EU Settlement Scheme will continue to be implemented, enabling EU citizens and their family members living in the UK by 29 March 2019 to secure their status and continue to be able to work, study, and access benefits and services in the UK on the same basis after we exit the EU as they do now. The scheme will be fully open by 30 March 2019 as planned.
  • Confirms that the Home Office will continue to look to grant status rather than refuse and in line with the UK commitment to be more generous in certain respects than the draft Withdrawal Agreement, a person will not be refused status under the EU Settlement Scheme because, for example, they are not economically active or they do not hold comprehensive sickness insurance.

There would be some changes to the EU Settlement Scheme if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, and further details are set out in the policy document.  In particular, as there will be no agreed implementation period, the application deadline will be brought forward to 31 December 2020.

Studying abroad after Brexit: Information for UK students


This is the best source for up to date information:

What is most likely, in the event of Britain leaving the EU, is that the UK will continue to honour all commitments made for the 2019 and 2020 Erasmus+ academic years . The UK government has previously published a statement saying that it would underwrite any Erasmus+ funding for proposals submitted before Britain’s exit from the EU.

There is a small risk that inbound students from our EU partner universities will not receive an Erasmus grant, because there is no commitment – as yet – to underwrite their funding.  This could have an impact on the scheme, which relies on balanced bilateral exchanges, but the University is confident this can be mitigated.

There are many countries which are not in the EU (indeed, some not in Europe at all) which are Participating or Partner Countries in the Erasmus+ scheme as it stands.  It is most likely that the UK would negotiate to remain part of the scheme in a way similar to these countries.

Study Abroad in Non-EU Countries

The University does not foresee a negative impact on study abroad in non-EU countries, setting aside any fluctuations in exchange rate etc.  Glasgow has over 80 bi-lateral exchange agreements with institutions across the world. Its reputation and quality of research and teaching make it an attractive destination for exchange.  There is growing demand for non-EU destinations – and the expectation is that this will increase.

Health Services

All current students who were resident in the UK prior to the agreed EU exit date will be entitled to the same Healthcare arrangements as part of the Settlement Scheme. 

Generally, students do not have to pay for medical treatment. If you study in the UK for more than three months you should be eligible for healthcare treatment through the NHS and will have access to the NHS until one month after their programme ends, regardless of their nationality or immigration status. 

UKCISA Information to Healthcare in the UK for EU, EEA and Swiss Students

On campus

You can speak to a member of our VISA team for advice and support on campus by either making an appointment or coming along to one of the drop in sessions

The service is open:

  • Monday to Thursday 10.00am - 4.30pm
  • Friday 10.00am - 4.00pm
Location: George Moore Building, Level 1
Phone: +44 (0)141 273 1244 
Web Address:
Keep up to date

You can keep up to date with all the relevant information via the links below.