Tier 1 is the category for "High value migrants" such as entrepreneurs and investors. It is the only tier of the Points-based system for which you do not need to be "sponsored" by an employer or education provider. There are numerous categories under Tier 1; see the UKVI website for full details.

Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur

You can apply to stay in the UK under this category of Tier 1 if you meet the following criteria and intend to set up and run a business as an entrepreneur:

  • have been awarded a recognised Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD within the UK, for which you studied in the UK. 
  • can show you have the required maintenance funds in your personal account for 90 consecutive days prior to the date of your application.
  • meet the English language requirement.
  • have written permission from your official financial sponsor to remain in the UK.

It is not possible to apply under the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Scheme if you have already been granted Tier 1 (Post study work), Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme, International Graduates Scheme or Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme.

The VISA Team are delighted to announce that Glasgow Caledonian University  is now an endorsing institution for the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur (GE) Visa. We have a limited number of endorsements open to GCU students studying at our Glasgow and London campus who have a genuine and credible business idea. For further information please contact the VISA Team: visa@GCU.ac.uk or for GCU London: visa@GCULondon.ac.uk

You can download our useful Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur leaflet which will provide information on eligibility and conditions in addition to the GCU application process inside the UK.

For further information on the scheme please visit: https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-graduate-entrepreneur-visa

Post-Study Work

If you wish to remain in the UK and seek work after your studies, then you will have to look at the options listed above, or seek work with a Tier 2 sponsor. If you are a PhD student, you may also be eligible for the Doctorate Extension Scheme.