If you have already registered with the police and you have a Police Registration Certificate, you can attend the Glasgow Overseas Visitor Registration Office (OVRO) any time, during opening times, or at any police station open to the public in the Glasgow area to update the information contained on your Police Registration Certificate – no appointment is necessary and it’s free of charge. You should ensure you provide the correct documents before the registration certificate can be updated.

You are required to keep the information contained on your certificate up to date under Section 26 (1)(f) of the Immigration Act 1971. If any of the following information changes, you must update the OVRO within 7 working days:

  • Address
  • Place and course of study
  • New visa
  • New passport
  • Full time employment
  • Marital Status (including marriages, divorces or civil partnerships)

Our leaflet on protecting your student status ‌ provides information on this and other advice.

Glasgow OVRO hours

Opening Times are:


09:00 - 12:30: appointments only

13:30 - 15:30: updating certificates for general enquiries

OVRO is now closed to the public on Fridays.

London OVRO hours

Opening times are:


09:00 - 16:00

OVRO is now closed to the public on Thursdays.

Need a New Police Registration Certificate?

If you do not have a Police Registration Certificate,  or you have lost it, you must arrange an appointment to get one.

Got a new Visa in the UK?

Foreign nationals who were not required to register on their first UK Entry Clearance visa, may need to register, on receipt of their visa extension (UK Residence Permit Card). Please check the reverse of the UK Residence Permit Card, to find out if this applies to you.  The wording ‘REPORT OR REGISTER WITH POLICE’ will be stated on the reverse side of the card. Foreign nationals should book an appointment for police registration with the Overseas Visitor Registration Office (OVRO).

The information also applies to dependants who are required to register with the Police.

Further information on UKVI: www.gov.uk/register-with-the-police

Our handy postcard with advice about your Police Registration Certificate can be obtained from the VISA Team of the Campus Life Desk. You can also download it here