What do I need to do?

If your passport containing your current visa is lost or stolen, you must obtain a police report and contact your embassy, who should be able to advise you on the procedure for getting a new one. You should also contact VISA at visa@GCU.ac.uk or GCU London at visa@GCULondon.ac.uk immediately, who can provide you with photocopies of your old passport.

You will also have to apply for Transfer of Conditions (TOC). This is where you apply to have your current immigration permission endorsed alongside your new passport. This will take the form of a BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) and not a vignette in your passport. The fee is £169 if you are outside the UK. If you are in the UK the fee is £161.

If your BRP is lost or stolen and you are in the UK

You must report and apply for the replacement BRP card within 3 months. You must also report the loss/theft to obtain a police report. Please contact the VISA Team urgently for advice to protect your immigration status. Please contact the VISA Team to submit your online form. The fee is £56.

You can be fined up to £1000 and need to leave the UK if you don't apply for the replacement within 3 months.

If you BRP was valid for less than 3 months you don't have to get a replacement but you must report this to the Home Office as soon as possible.

If your BRP is lost or stolen and you are outside the UK

You must report your lost or stolen BRP to the Home Office as soon as possible.
You can't apply for the replacement BRP outside the UK. Instead you will need to get a replacement BRP visa which lets you re-enter the UK once only. The fee is £154. You must apply for the replacement BRP within one month of your return.

Our handy postcard with advice on what to do if your BRP or passport are lost or stolen can be obtained from the VISA Team or the Campus Life Desk. You can also download it here What if I lose my BRP or passport? We recommend you carry one in your hand luggage or wallet when you travel with your passport and BRP card.

UKCISA provides information regarding problems with your passport and BRP card on their website. For more information on TOC, see the UKVI website.