International Life FAQs

I am coming to GCU in the new semester, is there an induction programme for new international students?

Each semester, Student Events hosts an Orientation Programme to welcome new arrivals to GCU. Please ensure you register your place on these events as soon as possible. Email for more details.

Your school will also run an induction programme before your classes start. You will receive information about this before you come to GCU. If you have not heard anything, please contact your school for information.

This is my first time away from home. How do I register with a Doctor and Dentist?

As an international student studying in the UK, you may need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the ‘immigration health surcharge’) as part of your immigration application. Please contact the V.I.S.A. Team for more information. We are here to help you. 

Find information on how to register.

I am looking for temporary/permanent accommodation - where can I look?

The university has its own student accommodation, Caledonian Court. There are several other places which you can look for permanent accommodation. You can also find out information about temporary accommodation there too.

I would like to meet other international students studying at GCU. How can I do this?

We believe that making friends is an important part of your university experience. GCU hosts a variety of events throughout the academic year, and summer, and with a mix of nationalities, this is a great chance to meet other international students.

You can also like the GCU Student Events team Facebook page to keep updated on the latest events.


Is there any information available for international students studying in the UK? This is my first time studying away from home and I would like to know more.

There are various organisations which provide information guides for international students coming to study in the UK. We are here to support you throughout your whole university experience. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Does the university offer services for Faith?

The university has recently opened  Multi Faith and Belief Centre. This is available to all students and all faiths.

While studying at GCU, I would like to work. Is this possible?

There are certain restrictions for working in the UK whilst studying. This will depend on your entry clearance certification in your passport. Most students are allowed to work 20 hours MAXIMUM throughout the term, this includes working on your dissertation. If you are unsure, please contact us.

You can also find more information about working during your studies here.

What services are available to support me if I have a personal or practical problem?

The University has various support services available to all students. Please click here for a list. A good starting point is also the main GCU Student homepage.

I can drive in my home country, is it possible to drive while I am in the UK?

Find out all about driving in the UK

I would like to keep in regular contact with home as this is my first time away.

It can be a difficult time moving away from and leaving behind family and friends. We are here to support you throughout your time at GCU. If you would like to talk to a member of our team, please contact us.

You can also keep in touch with your family when you arrive in Glasgow. Feel free to come to the V.I.S.A. space on Level 1 of the George Moore Building. Our PCs in this area are equipped with Skype to contact your family and friends.

Will I pay council tax?

Please see Funding web page for more information.