Doctor/General Practicioner

You will need to register with a doctor as soon as you arrive in the UK. GCU has a partnership with Dr Webster and Partners, at Woodside Health Centre, Barr Street. A registration form and map to the practice are available from V.I.S.A. and the Campus Life Desk, both on Level 1 of the George Moore Building.


In the UK, there are private dentists and NHS dentists. Sometimes you will that some surgeries will have both kind of dentists. There are few NHS Dentists available.

How to find an NHS dentist in your area:

  1. To find a NHS dentist in your area see the NHS 24 website.
  2. Click on "Search by postcode"
  3. At the bottom of the page, enter your full postcode.
  4. Select "Dentists" from the dropdown box and click Search.

About NHS dentists and private dentists

  • NHS Dentists: You are required to pay for any treatment you receive. This can vary according to the work carried out. You should ask to register as an NHS Patient.
  • Private Dentists: You are required to pay for any treatment or consultation.

You may be eligible to get financial help for dental work by applying on an HC1 form. Keep all your reciepts as they may be required when completing your HC1 form.

Emergency Treatment

If you need urgent dental treatment, and are not registered with a dentist, go to any surgery and ask to be registered as an NHS patient for emergency treatment. Or for immediate treatment, you can visit:

Glasgow Dental Hospital and School
378 Sauchiehall Street
G2 3JZ
Tel: 0141 232 6323

It is advisable to phone the dental hospital in advance to check service times.

You can visit the Glasgow Dental Hospital and School if it is not an emergency, all treatment is free. Dentistry students will carry out the examinations under supervision. Non-emergency patients are placed on a waiting list.