Working in the UK as a student

You may wish to work part-time whilst you are studying here.

To find out more about the laws regarding international students (and also to the spouses of students) working in the UK, please visit the following UKVI website about the Tier 4 (General) student visa.

You cannot work on a Short-term study visa.

During your studies

As a Tier 4 (general) student you can work these hours:

  • Term Time: Maximum 10/20 hours per week as stated on your visa.
  • Vacation Time: Full-time hours

It is extremely important that you familiarise yourself with your permitted working hours, and ask V.I.S.A. if there is anything regarding this that you do not understand. Remember that if you exceed the working hours permitted on your visa, you and your employer are in breach of the immigration rules. For more information on working during your studies, see UKCISA's website.

Work Placement

If you are planning to do a work placement, please ensure that your placement meets UKVI criteria. You or your school can contact V.I.S.A. for further information. It is vital that your school knows the details of your work placement, i.e. company name, address, contact details and a named point of contact/staff member.

After your Studies

You are entitled to work full time hours once your course has been completed. Even if you have submitted all your coursework, you cannot work more than 20 hours a week until the course end date has passed. Your school can confirm the end date.

The Campus Life Team at the Campus Life Desk on Level 1 of the George Moore Building can issue a confirmation of student status letter with end date. This letter can be given to employers; if they have any questions please ask your employer to check the UKCISA or UKVI website and they can also contact V.I.S.A.

Since the closure of the Post-Study Work route under tier 1, there are still other options for working in the UK after your studies. For the most up-to-date information, you should regularly check the UKCISA website.

Useful Links

Bulgarian and Romanian nationals

If you are a Romanian or Bulgarian student looking to work in the UK, you will need to apply for a registration card on form BR1. Please see V.I.S.A. for advice on this.