Below are the steps which have to be taken to get logged into a computer.
Username: Your username is printed on your Student card and also on your joining instructions letter. Example of a student username: JSMITH299
Password: Your initial password will be sent to you by post or email. Just as you wouldn’t give out the PIN for your bank card, you must not give anyone your password, and you should not write it down anywhere.
Your password will work for the following student systems in the University – Domain, Email, GCU Learn, Library online resources, Registration and eduroam. However, the Domain, Email, GCU Learn, Library online resources, Registration and eduroam passwords are linked. The domain password will expire every 90 days and you will be prompted to change it. Once you change it, it will also change your password for the other systems as well.
You must change your domain password (the password you use to log on to the computers in University labs) at least once every 90 days. If you are near your 90 day limit when you log on the computers on campus you will be told your password will expire in XX days with the option to change it right away if you wish. An email will also be sent to your University email address informing you that your password will expire 14 days, 7 days and 3 days prior to expiry. If you ignore these messages and go beyond the 90 days you will be told your password has expired. You must then change your password immediately.
Your University Domain, Email, GCU Learn, Library online resources, Registration and eduroam passwords are linked, therefore when you change your domain password you will automatically change the ones for Email, GCU Learn, Library online resources, Registration and eduroam.
Your new password:
- Must be at least 8 characters in length
- Must not contain all or part of your name or username
- It should not include simple words, for example "water"
- Must contain characters from 3 of the following 4 categories:
- Upper case characters (A..Z)
- Lower case characters (a..z)
- Numbers (0..9)
- Non-alphanumeric (e.g. symbols such as !,$,#)
- You must change your password at least 5 times before you are allowed to reuse a password.
Make sure you keep your password secret and never write it down especially together with your username.
Further Important Information
- Once you have changed your password, you cannot change it again for at least one day.
- You can only use your new password for a maximum period of 90 days then you must change it again.
- The password history is set to 5 passwords; this means that you must have changed your password 5 times before you can reuse any password