Educational trusts and charities

Trusts and Scholarships can provide financial help with tuition fees and study costs such as books and travel expenses. In some cases you may get help with living costs.

Some Trusts are local and depend on specific criteria e.g. where you were born, went to school or live now; others depend on such factors as your surname or parents' occupations. Others are more general or focus on the subject you are studying.

Links and information on Trusts and Charities which you may be able to apply to:

You can find information on available Trust and Charities Funds

How to apply to Trusts and Scholarships

Some organisations will send you an application form, whilst others prefer you to write a letter of application. Even if you know an organisation will send you an application form, you should still make your first letter quite detailed and specific.

Here are some guidelines on how to write to a Trust or Charity. 


It is important to structure your letter well:

  • start with a personal introduction: who you are, your age, where you come from, what course you are doing and where
  • say why you are writing to them: for example, give the reasons for your hardship
  • explain how financial assistance would help: for example, it would help you finish your course


You must be clear and concise – remember the organisation probably receives a lot of applications. Make sure you include all the relevant facts, but stick to the point. Be truthful but don’t dramatise your case.

Supporting Information

It usually helps if you include a letter of support from a member of academic staff. This should say that you are an able student, capable of completing the course. If the tutor knows your circumstances, they may want to mention the effect financial hardship is having on your studies, but do not feel that you have to tell financial details to your tutor if you do not want to.

The Thomas & Margaret Rodden Trust

Bursaries may be awarded to:

  • undergraduates who will have completed at least one year of study at the time of taking up the award
  • postgraduates undertaking taught course, or
  • postgraduates engaged in research for a higher degree

Awards may be made to students having their ordinary residence in Scotland and studying anywhere in the world (including Scotland) or students having their ordinary residence outside Scotland and studying in Scotland.

The Trustees are more likely to favour Applications to cover expenditure arising from unforeseen contingencies and unexpected circumstances

The Trustees will not fund Applications to cover expenditure which should have been planned at the outset of the course such as required periods abroad or required field courses. 

Each Application must be accompanied by an institutional reference covering academic and welfare aspects.

Incomplete Applications will not be considered by the Trustees and only properly completed Applications using Form v2020 will be accepted

Applications must be signed by the applicant and countersigned by a member of the University staff holding a senior academic or administrative appointment.

The Trustees can only deal with one correspondent at each University or Institution of Higher Learning and applications must come through the Principal’s Office or one department however many Faculties or Departments are involved.    Applications sent in by students themselves will not be considered.

Applications received by the Trust after 30th April 2020 will not be eligible for consideration.    This requirement is absolute and no exceptions will be allowed.