The Library has changed the way that journal articles, book chapters and conference papers supplied by the British Library are delivered to staff and students.
DRM Lite is an electronic delivery method where items are sent via an email link and are locked to you as an individual; this allows you to view it on any machine or device with internet access. To download it you will need Adobe Reader version 10 or above. This software is installed on all GCU staff and student machines and is available to download free of charge on your own devices. Once a document has been downloaded, you can continue to use it for up to 3 years.
How to use DRM Lite
- Make your request through our inter-library loan service, Clio.
- Check your email for a message from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The subject will contain ‘British Library Order: xxx, Ready for download’ (where xxx is your order number). The link contained in the message will be active for 30 days from dispatch after which it will be deleted.
- When you open your first DRM Lite item you will need to register for British Library On Demand. This only has to be done once. See our guide for instructions.
- Once you have registered, wait for 5 minutes before opening your item to allow time for the British Library to process your registration.
- Click the link in the first email from the British Library.
- Enter your On Demand username and click on ‘Download your document’.
- Enter your On Demand login and password, this will lock the item to your account and you will be asked for these details each time you open it. The email link can be re-used for 30 days but we recommend that you save the item as soon as possible.
- Adobe Reader will ask if you want it to remember the username and password information, choose ‘NO’ if you are working on a shared or public computer.
- If your web browser has a built in PDF viewer you will need to temporarily disable this to allow the item to open directly into Adobe Reader (for further information, see our Troubleshooting page).
- When you have opened the item you will be able to save it to your device and print it once. You will be able to view the saved file for up to 3 months or 3 years depending on the publisher.
- To re-open the saved file you must have internet access and enter your On Demand login and password.