Placements and volunteering
This page outlines what we can offer in terms of types of placement, work experience, study visits or volunteering. If what we offer suits your needs, then please contact us at email@example.com to check availability.
As project work makes up a large proportion of longer placements, we can only offer places when we have a stock of interesting work for you to do. This ensures that you get the most out of your stay with us.
What we offer:
- School work experience:
This will be within the Library Desk and Academic Liaison teams providing front line service to staff and students.
- UK placements via library schools:
This is offered subject to available project work. We can provide a maximum of two placements a year. We regret that we can’t offer placements during September and October as these are the busiest times in the university calendar.
- UK informal requests for work experience or internships:
These will be considered individually. In general, they should be limited to a four week period. We regret that the main library can’t offer placements during September and October as these are the busiest times in the university calendar. Archives and Special Collections will provide work experience for more than four weeks and can be more flexible on dates, but the task or project would have an agreed beginning and an end.
- ERASMUS and other non-UK based students placements and study visits:
These will be considered individually, depending on staff availability and whether project work is available. We can't offer these during September and October. These GCU pages outline services available to students wishing to study with us, they also link to visa and accommodation information:
- European Erasmus+ Exchange Programme
- Exchange opportunities from outwith the EU please note that we can only offer placements for a trimester, not a full academic year
- Study abroad at GCU
- List of GCU exchange partners, EU and worldwide
- You may also want to look at the People Make Glasgow web site which lists accommodation in the Glasgow area.
- Volunteers: Our Archives and Special Collections Department has a well-established volunteer programme. Please look at our web site for further information on the service. If you would like to be considered for volunteering, we will ask you to fill in our A&SC volunteer form.