Discover is our single search system which searches our books, ebooks, most journal content and selected other resources. We provide a Discover search guide. For more comprehensive searches you will need to search a database.
This subject guide will help you locate key sources of information for your subject including databases for finding journal articles.
You can contact your librarian for help searching databases and finding books and journal articles for your essay, coursework or dissertation.
- American Academy of Optometry
- Association of Optometrists
- College of Optometrists
- General Optical Council is the regulator for the optical professions in the UK.
- Neurological Eye Simulator demonstrates the effects of disabling one of more of the 12 eye muscles and one or more of the 6 cranial nerves that control eye motion.
- NICE Evidence Search (formerly NHS Evidence) enables access to authoritative clinical and non-clinical evidence and best practice. It currently includes information from about 200 organisations, and includes systematic reviews, guidelines, and evidence based summaries.
- Visual Impairment Centre for Teaching and Research (VICTAR) is based at the University of Birmingham. Contains links to the current research conducted by the Centre.
Other useful websites
- Knowledge Network is a national online knowledge and learning resource for health and social care. An NHS Athens login gives access to more than 9000 journal titles, ebooks and other services.
- Centre for the Social History of Health and Healthcare is a collaborative research group involving historians and students from Glasgow Caledonian University and the University of Strathclyde.
- Higher Education Academy champions excellent learning and teaching in higher education, breakdown by subject discipline.
- Health & Care Professions Council is the regulating body for health, psychological and social work professionals.
- Healthcare Improvement Scotland includes a range of publications relating to healthcare improvement including evidence based reports to best practice, improvement guides and inspection reports.
- MEDNAR is a specialist medical search engine which can be good for finding grey literature.
- NHS Scotland is the official NHS Scotland website. Includes a list of NHS boards by region, a list of NHS and health related websites and a publication search.
- NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde includes a wealth of publications including annual reviews, consultations and guidelines and manuals.
- Audit Scotland aims to hold public bodies to account and help them improve. Access a range of annual audits and public reports such as Accident and Emergency performance and NHS waiting lists.
- Scottish Government includes Scottish Government publications on the topics of health and social care.
- Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN) includes clinical guidelines.
- Department of Health covers heath care in England and incudes publications including policy documents and reports.