This subject guide will help you locate key sources of information for your subject including databases for finding journal articles, reports and conference proceedings.
You can contact your librarian for help searching databases and finding books and journal articles for your essay, coursework or dissertation.
- British Standards Online (BSOL) provides access to bibliographic, citation and full text of over 60,000 British, adopted European and International standards. The complete set of all Eurocodes is available in full text, through BSOL
- BCIS Online provides up to date detailed building cost information, including cost analysis and tender price information
- BCIS Online Rates database offers access to Building Cost Information Service’s independent rates data for estimating and checking costs and ensuring accurate budgeting for new build and refurbishment projects
- Construction Information Service contains industry and technical information for the construction industry with full text documents, current regulations and related news and briefings
- Digimap is a collection of services that delivers maps and map data to higher education. We subscribe to Digimap Ordnance Survey collection, Historic Digimap, Geology Digimap and Environment Digimap
- isurv provides access to RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) documents including official guidance, forms and case studies and the Red Book (RICS appraisal and valuation standards)
- Occupational Health and Safety Information Service (OHSIS) is a source of key occupational, health and safety documentation and information relevant to the workplace. It includes the supplements for Occupational Health and Safety Core, Environmental Health, Fire Safety and the Fire Protection Association
Building Standards, regulations and technical handbooks
- Scottish Government - Building Standards are the responsibility of Scottish ministers who have the power to create building regulations and prepare technical guidance to ensure buildings are safe, efficient and sustainable for all. The Technical Handbooks provide guidance on achieving the standards set in the Building (Scotland) Regulations 2004 and are available in two volumes, for domestic buildings and for non-domestic buildings. They are also available in the Construction Information Service database
- Building Regulations (for England) are in the planning portal and also available through the Construction Information Service database
Building and quantity surveying
- Brick Development Association
- Building Research Establishment (BRE) is the UK's leading centre of expertise on buildings, construction, energy, environment, fire and risk.
- Building Services Research and Information Association (BSRIA)
- Chartered Institute of Building
- The Concrete Society
- Construction Industry Research and Information Association
- Historic Scotland
- Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) represents professionals in land, property, surveying.
- Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB)
- SpecifiedBy is a searchable resource to help you find, research and compare building products.
- Steel Construction Info is an encyclopedia of UK steel construction information.
- Transport Research Laboratory
Accessing case law resources
You can find help and explanations on the library's Law Subject Guide.
Building Law Reports are specialist reports published separately.
Tip: It is important you choose the report your lecturer has specified as cases can be written up in multiple law reports.
Understanding a legal citation
Tip: 'R. v. Somebody' indicates a criminal case
Case law abbreviations
The Cardiff Index to Legal Abbreviations is a free online resource which allows you to search for the abbreviation or the full title of English language legal publications.
Tip: chose 'close' match if you are putting in part of an abbreviation.
Image provided from Citing the Law by Cathie Jackson, Ian Bradley, Matthew Davies and Lynn Goodhew, Information Services, Cardiff University under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.