Business and company information
This quick guide will help you find key resources for your subject area including journal articles and subject specific databases. You may wish also wish to explore these related subject guides:
- Accounting, Finance and Risk
- Country Profiles
- Economics and international development
- Marketing and Market Research
If you need further help contact your librarian.
UK company structure
UK companies range from the small privately owned 'sole traders' (such as a local business) to large privately owned (like Boots) or publicly owned (responsible to shareholders) companies (like Tesco). Most UK companies are 'sole traders' or small and medium enterprises (SMEs) employing under 250 people.
Tip: Most annual company reports for larger UK public companies can usually be found freely available online - usually on the company website. The larger the company the more information available.
Finding journal articles
Discover is our single search system which searches our books, ebooks, most journal content and selected other resources. We provide a Discover search guide. For more comprehensive searches you will need to search a database.
Companies rarely make public detailed business strategy as this is potentially commercially sensitive information, so apart from what companies release for public consumption such as press releases and product information, most ideas about company strategy (especially long term) has to come from a range of sources.
Other sources include:
- Trade and academic journals (located on business databases).
- Financial newspapers (such as the Financial Times) or the business sections of newspapers.
- Internal company documents (unlikely to be available).
- Market research or industry trends data.
- Information and statistics released by Government departments (such as the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills).
- Expert opinion (in journals, newspapers, blogs, mailing lists, and so on).
- Scottish Enterprise
- Scottish Government
- UK Government
- Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Confederation of British Industry (CBI)
- Competiton and Markets Authority, formerly the Competition Commission
- European Commission competition and mergers information.
- RBA Business Resources Gateway
- Social Firms UK is an organisation reflecting views of social firms at UK and EU level.
- The School for Social Entrepreneurs (SSE)
- Social Enterprise UK
- Third Sector includes social enterprise news.
- Development Trusts Association (DTA) Scotland
- SENSCOT connects Scotland's estimated 3000 social entrepreneurs for the purpose of information sharing, joint working and support.
- Social Firms Scotland
- Social Enterprise Scotland
- Yunus Centre for Social Business and Health based at Glasgow Caledonian University.