- Collects data on the same subjects over time
- Two or more collection points
- Data from each collection point is compared
- Useful for understanding social change
Panel studies: data from samples at two or more points in time, for example,
- British Household Panel Survey (BHPS) - objective is to further understanding of social and economic change at the individual sample of more than 5,000 households in Britain with the same individuals re-interviewed in successive waves.
Cohort studies: returning to a sample of participants who are part of the same cohort, for example,
- Millennium Cohort Study (MCS) - follows the lives of a sample of 19,000 babies born between 1 September 2000 and 31 August 2001 in England and Wales, and between 22 November 2000 and 11 January 2002 in Scotland and Northern Ireland.
SMILE - Research design by Learning from WOeRk, University of Plymouth modified by Marion Kelt, Glasgow Caledonian University is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License