Problem solving styles
Idealist - takes a holistic view:
- Welcomes a broad range of perspectives
- Seeks the ideal solution
- Is interested in values
- Is receptive of others' ideas
- Sees data and theory of equal value
Activist - takes a diverse view:
- Looks for whatever works
- Seeks the shortest route to solution
- Is interested in innovation
- Is adaptive
- Accepts any data or theory that "gets us there"
Realist - takes a sensible view:
- Relies on facts and expert opinion
- Seeks solutions that meet current needs
- Is interested in concrete results
- Is corrective
- Takes data over theory
There is no right or wrong style. We should not expect that all people solve problems in the same way. If we listen to others and accept that there is more than one style or way to solve problems, we can generate more solutions to choose from.
SMILE - Problem solving by CR Education modified by Marion Kelt, Glasgow Caledonian University is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.