Professional ethics: What you do outside university
5 You should limit your study or stop studying if your performance or judgement is affected by your health.
- You should get help from a doctor or an occupational health professional if you are worried about your health.
- You should be aware that you may put your service users or yourself at risk if your performance or judgement is affected by your health.
6 You should keep your professional knowledge and skills up to date.
- You are responsible for your own learning.
- You should think about and respond positively to feedback you are given.
7 You should act within the limits of your knowledge and skills.
- You should only carry out an unsupervised task if you feel that you have the appropriate knowledge and skills.
- You should make sure that you are appropriately supervised for any task that you are asked to carry out.
- You should ask for help when you need it.
- You should make sure that you do not claim that you have knowledge and skills which you do not.
These pages have been adapted from the BPS code of human research ethics and the HPC guidance on conduct and ethics for students.