Blogs and microblogs
- Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google. Blogger offers many templates which can be easily customised using the template design tools.
- WordPress was created in 2003. Like Blogger, WordPress has a wide variety of templates and an easy to use template editor tool.
- Blog.com has similar features to Blogger and Wordpress with the emphasis on simplicity and ease of use. Advertisements may appear on free blogs, but you can have an 'ad-free' blog for a small charge. Free blogs are limited to 35 authors and 2GB of storage space.
- Tumblr 'Tumbling' is a fast form of microblogging which provides a stranded structure for conversations. The emphasis is on ease of use.
- Twitter is a social networking site that provides a microblogging service. Twitter messages or 'tweets' are public, but private messages can also be sent. Twitter collects information about its users and shares it with third parties, so you may find yourself being targeted by advertising companies.
PILOT - Communication by Marion Kelt, GCU, Imperial College, London and East Midlands Research Group is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.