_header_branchAcademic and English Language Preparation Courses
Whether you have a fixed career path in mind or are open to exploring your options, at GCU you will be encouraged to engage in career development activities from day one of your studies. Our focus on employability means that you can be confident that your experiences at GCU will give you the best possible start for your future career.
Internships and Placements
Get ahead in the world of work with an industrial placement. Thanks to our strong business partnerships and cutting-edge applied research activities, we can offer you a wide variety of opportunities from short internships to year-long paid placements. More than half of our undergraduate programmes offer placements as part of the degree. See the progression tables on pages 39 and 43 to find out which degrees you can progress to that offer a placement.
GCU has a strong track record of working partnerships with professional bodies, ensuring courses are delivered in line with the needs of industry. We have extensive links with many professional bodies, and 43% of GCU’s undergraduate programmes are accredited by industry bodies.
Develop your skills
The Students’ Association also runs a number of initiatives which will help to set you apart when it comes to job applications. You could become a class representative, working to improve the learning experience of other students, or develop your communication skills on the student magazine and award-winning radio station.
Graduates in demand
By putting employability first, GCU graduates are internationally employable and have gained jobs with worldwide blue-chip companies, including Cisco Systems, IBM, Morgan Stanley, Marks & Spencer, Shell and Santander.
We offer a full range of professional support designed to help you to manage your own career development.
- Employer presentations and seminars, where you can meet, learn from and network with potential employers.
- Help securing part-time jobs and volunteering work to develop your skills and CV.
- Support securing internships and placements to provide you with the experience and skills employers demand.
- Access to Job Search: an online database used by thousands of employers to advertise vacancies both during your studies and upon graduation.
- Advice on opportunities to study abroad or as part of a global exchange.
- Career clinics provide one-to-one appointments with a professional career adviser.