Occupational Health

The University has an contract with People Asset Management to provide Occupational Health Services for GCU staff.

The role of the Occupational Health Department is to ensure that the work we are asking you to do will not cause you any ill health or exacerbate pre-existing medical conditions. In addition to this service, periodic promotional events which include lifestyle checks, for example, cholesterol and blood pressure, will be undertaken.  Staff that travel as part of their work at the University also have access to a Staff Travel Clinic

If you require a referral to Occupational Health, please speak with your manager in the first instance.  For all other general OH enquires please contact: ohenquiries@gcu.ac.uk or telephone 0141 331 8140.

Please visit the Working Here pages for further information regarding Occupational Health Referrals and the Employee Assistance Programme.

Occupational Health Referrals

Occupational Health is a specialist area of medicine specifically to support the relationship between people’s health and their work. Feeling healthy at work is important to all of us. The People Asset Management Occupational Health Service (OHS) will provide health management advice to help you stay healthy whilst at work, but also offers you the help you need to make a full recovery if you have been absent from work for a period through illness. The OHS will also provide assistance to support you once you have returned to work, if appropriate.

If you are absent from work through illness or if there is a cause for concern about your health, you may be referred to the Occupational Health Adviser (OHA) via a management referral from your line manager, with advice and guidance provided by People Services. The University’s OHA is a qualified nurse with additional specialist qualifications such as occupational health with perhaps coronary care, mental health, vocational rehabilitation, travel medicine etc. The OHA also has extensive experience of providing healthcare in the work environment and supporting rehabilitation plans.

For further information on Occupational Health, please visit our Working Here pages.

Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)

PAM Assist is a free confidential support service. The service is staffed by experienced and professional advisors who are there 24 hours a day. Through PAM Assist there is access to clinical and professional expertise which gives members of staff a chance to talk about all kinds of work and personal issues. These might include debt advice, relationships, managing money, stress management, moving house, health advice, work issues, domestic abuse, drug / alcohol addiction, family care or bereavement.

Please visit the portal for further information regarding the Employee Assistance Programme.

Pre-employment Health Screening

The University has a duty of care to safeguard your health within the working environment. Your Pre-placement health screen, if required, is completed prior to commencing employment and forms the basis of your Occupational Health File. This is confidential and separate from any records held about you in the People Services Department. Based on what information you have provided us with, this helps us ensure that we are not asking you to do a job which will adversely affect your health.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Occupational Health.


Health Surveillance

Health surveillance is a system of ongoing health checks and is important for detecting, at an early stage, work-related ill-health in staff that are exposed to certain types of risks, so that better controls can be introduced.

Health Surveillance is identified by risk assessment and ensures that risks are monitored. Examples of this may be annual lung function testing in dusty environments or hearing testing within noisy areas. If a significant risk is identified, appropriate Health Surveillance will be undertaken by Occupational Health in accordance with statutory requirements.

If you have any concerns regarding potential workplace hazards, please contact the University Health and Safety Advisor.