Research project Title:
Policy Development and Infrastructure for Social Enterprise and Third Sector - Comparison between Scotland, the UK and Rest of Europe
Prof. A. De-Ruyter and Dr. Geoffrey Whittam
Specialisms and Interests
- Third Sector, including Social Enterprise and Cooperatives
- Optimising Third Sector Policy and Funding Opportunities
- Policy Development for Social Enterprise, Third Sector and Not for Profit Organisations
- Third Sector and Not For Profit Policy Research
- Third Sector Strategic Analysis and Review
Professional Memberships and Activities
- 2006 - present. Director, Senscot – Social Entrepreneurs Network Scotland
- 2010 - present RTPI Chartered Member including RTPI Policy Expert
- 2004-2007 Associate of West Midlands in Europe Office in Brussels
- 2001-2004 - Director, British Consultants and Construction Bureau (now British Expertise)
- Research Paper for National Coalition for Independent Action Inquiry Into the Future Of Voluntary Services
- Research Paper for UNISON and Unite Unions on Public Service Mutuals
- Article on "The Financialisation of Public Service Delivery - Vulnerability of Third Sector Organisations and Economically Excluded Service Recipients and Invulnerability of Policy Elites" from London CRESC Conference 5 September 2013
Selected Consulting Projects
- "Homelessness - the Moving Agenda". including delivery Models. Leslie Huckfield. Presentation to Stirling Homelessness Partnership, Enterprise Centre, Friday 22 November 2012"
- A Research and Delivery Strategy for Social Enterprise". Leslie Huckfield. Presentation at Yunus Centre for Social Business and Health. Thursday 23 August 2012"
- Communities and Regeneration". Leslie Huckfield. Presentation to European Urban Research Assoc 10th Anniversary Conference. Glasgow University, Friday 14 September 2007
- "Regenerating Regeneration". Leslie Huckfield. Presentation to Scottish Federation of Housing Associations Annual Conference, Glasgow Friday 08 June 2012
- "Future NHS and Health Care Delivery in Scotland". Leslie Huckfield. Presentation at ACEVO Health Conference, Royal Bank of Scotland, London Thursday 15 March 2007
- "Regeneration and Communities: Some More New Thinking". Leslie Huckfield. Presentation to Scottish Urban Regeneration Open Forum, Edinburgh. Thursday 22 February 2007
- "Regeneration and Communities: Some New Thinking". Leslie Huckfield. Presentation to Scottish Urban Regeneration Open Forum, Edinburgh. Thursday 30 March 2006.
- 2006 Research Report - Communities Scotland/Scottish Social Enterprise Coalition on BRAG Enterprises Contribution to Fife Economy.
- 2006. Research Report - Argyll and Bute Local Social Economy Partnership on Social Enterprise and Third Sector delivery of NHS and Health and Care Services.
- 2005 to 2006. Research Report- NHS Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire Council- Social Enterprise and Housing Association delivery - NHS and Health and Care Services.
- 2004. Research Report - South Staffordshire Partnership - Tourism/Leisure Skills Strategy.
- 2004. Research Report - Ministry of Finance/BDO Lithuania - Cohesion Fund
- 2003. Research and Report for British Embassies and British Council in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania - Funding for Vocational Training Opportunities for UK Further Education
“Social Impact Bonds – A Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing?” Neil McHugh, Stephen Sinclair, Michael Roy, Leslie Huckfield and Cam Donaldson. Journal of Poverty and Social Justice Vol 21 (3), October 2013 (forthcoming). Policy Press, University of Bristol
"The Financialisation of Public Service Delivery - Vulnerability of Third Sector Organisations and Economically Excluded Service Recipients and Invulnerability of Policy Elites". Leslie Huckfield. Presentation CRESC Conference 5 September 2013 London
"Social Impact Bonds: A Risky Venture?" Stephen Sinclair, Neil McHugh, Leslie Huckfield, Michael Roy, and Cam Donaldson. Paper to Social Policy Association Annual Conference, Sheffield July 05 2013. Also in Social Policy Review No 26 (forthcoming) Policy Press, Bristol
“The Most Supportive Environment in the World for Social Enterprise? Social Enterprise in Scotland" Michael J. Roy, Neil McHugh, Les Huckfield, Alan Kay and Cam Donaldson. Paper to 7th Scientific Colloquium on Social Enterprise, University of Torino 7-8 June 2013.
"Social Enterprise not Social Investment: Killing Social Enterprise Softly". Leslie Huckfield. Presentation at ESRC Reconstructing Social Enterprise Series. University of Birmingham, Friday 12 April 2013