When reading, compare and contrast definitions to identify:
- How have definitions changed/evolved?
- What elements are shared across definitions?
- Is the emphasis/focus of definitions always the same?
- Do writers place emphasis on different elements?
- Which definition are you going to use? Why?
Critical reading strategies: reading about definitions and theories
There is often extensive debate about definitions. Definitions matter, because they set the limits of a concept and shape how we think about it.
Click on this link for an example of critical discussion of a definition