Musicians are increasingly using Networked Music Performance (NMP) technology to play together across physical distances, and to collaborate on compositions and arrangements. The effects of latency and ways to reduce it have been investigated, however the experience of musicians using this technology has been largely overlooked. I am examining the experience of musicians using both qualitative techniques such as interviews and observations of performances, as well as quantitative techniques such as body tracking using a Microsoft Kinect sensor. My objectives are:
• To investigate the impact of NMP technology on the experience of musicians.
• To examine the role of latency, audio quality and video links on the experience of musicians’ performances;
• To examine how musicians communicate in NMP settings;
• To assess how musicians adapt their playing to suit the conditions of NMP;
• To investigate the impact of NMP technology on the music produced.