Rules and Regulations


We advertise part-time jobs that are up to 15 hours per week during term time as this provides a good work/life/study balance. We recommend you don’t work more than 15 hours.

Jobs outwith term-time, such as during the summer, can be full-time.


All jobs must comply with National Minimum Wage laws for the country the work will take place in. See here for more information on UK National Minimum Wage laws.

All internships must also meet National Minimum Wage. There really is no such thing as an ‘unpaid internship’ and we suggest you look at Making Internships Work: A Student’s Guide.

The only exceptions are:

  1. If you are required to do an internship for less than 1 year as part of a UK-based further or higher education course;
  2. If the employer is a registered charity;
  3. If you are simply work shadowing, i.e. where no work is performed.

National Insurance

Every person working in the UK must have a National Insurance number. If you are an International or EU student you will need to apply for this in order to work while studying. You need to apply by phone.

If you’re moving to the UK you can only apply once you’re here. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.

National Insurance number application line
Telephone: 0345 600 0643
Textphone: 0345 600 0644
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm