Are you interested in working as a Student Mentor?
Each year, Glasgow Caledonian University’s Outreach and Community Engagement department recruit undergraduate students to work as Student Mentors on a variety of programmes such as: working with young people from local nursery, primary and secondary schools and their families; working with senior pupils and college students considering HE study; and supporting current GCU students on campus.
Student Mentors act as role models and GCU ambassadors, delivering a wide range of activities to increase the confidence, core skills and life-long learning aspirations of young people and help senior pupils and college students with the transition to GCU/ Higher Education.
The department specifically look for enthusiastic and organised undergraduate students, with excellent communication skills. Full training will be given.
We are particularly (but not exclusively) interested in hearing from students who:
- are second or third year GCU undergraduate students
- are from SCETT, Advanced Higher Hub or Caledonian Club schools
- have progressed to GCU from study at college
- are from GOALS/FOCUS West schools
As a Student Mentor, you would benefit from:
- The Living Wage
- Flexible working hours to fit around your studies
- The opportunity to make a difference
- Valuable work experience and the chance to utilise your subject area expertise and develop skills that will enhance your CV
- The chance to meet and socialise with students from other departments
- Eligibility to join GCU Student Leaders Programme
Our recruitment drive for 2017/18 has now closed. The next opportunity to apply will be in September 2018. Remember to like the Caledonian Club Facebook page and Twitter to stay up-to-date with the latest student mentor news and recruitment dates.
All appointments will be subject to a PVG member scheme check.