- Wednesday 29th August at 3:30pm: Information Session
- 19th and 20th September: Literacy Mentor Training Sessions
- Week Commencing 24th September: Meet the teacher school visit. Literacy Mentors are introduced to P2 pupils and Teachers
- Week Commencing 1st October: Week 1 of Block 1 begins
- Week Commencing 15th October: October break
- Week Commencing 22nd October: Block 1 starts again
- Week Commencing 3rd December: Block 1 ends
In 2015 the Caledonian Club was excited to launch a new programme with challenging the attainment gap at its core. Building on the Club's digital book project at P2 which focuses on building a love of reading and story telling the team developed a targeted literacy programme. Now entering its fourth year, the P2 Literacy Programme works with selected pupils to help improve literacy levels as well as confidence and enjoyment in reading.
Since its launch, the P2 Literacy Programme has worked with over 120 pupils on paired reading and phonics. Sessions are led by trained Literacy Mentors and the team consists of undergraduate students and alumni of the university. Literacy Mentors visit pupils at school, delivering one-to-one paired reading before working together with a group of three pupils on phonics based lessons. Literacy Mentors work with the same pupils each week and aim to build a positive and supportive relationship that encourages engagement with learning.
The P2 Literacy Programme consists of two 8-week blocks and is developed to ensure time out of class is kept to a minimum. The school selects pupils and will decide if they should participate in both Block 1 and 2 based on need and progression. Block 1 is pre-Christmas with Block 2 continuing in the New Year.
During a session, pupils start with twenty-minutes of paired reading before working in a small group for twenty-minutes of phonics based activities. Pupils participate in two sessions per week.
Information session – Wednesday 29th August 2018 (3:30pm - 4:30pm) in room A526C within the Govan Mbeki building.
The selected dates for each partner school are still to be confirmed and Literacy Mentors will be assigned to a school session following successful completion of the training. However, the Literacy Programme will take place over the below periods:
- Block 2 will run from week commencing 25th February 2019
- Five weeks of activity will take place before the Easter Break
- Three further weeks will be delivered following the Easter Break
- Block 2 will end week commencing 6th May 2019
- Dates for Mentor Training are to be confirmed