- Wednesday 6th September: Information Session
- Week Commencing 18th September: Literacy Mentor Training
- Week Commencing 9th October: Meet the teacher school visit. Literacy Mentors are introduced to pupils, the P2 teachers and given information on the children they will be working with.
- Week Commencing 23rd October: Project begins
- Week Commencing 15th December: Block 1 ends
In 2015 the Caledonian Club launched a new programme with challenging the attainment gap at its core. The P2 Literacy Programme, now entering its third year, works with selected pupils to help improve literacy levels as well as confidence and enjoyment in reading.
Since its launch, the P2 Literacy Programme has worked with over 60 pupils on paired reading and phonics. Sessions are led by specifically trained Literacy Mentors and the team consists of undergraduate students and alumni of the university. Literacy Mentors visit pupils at school, delivering one-to-one paired reading before working together with a group of three pupils on phonics based lessons. Literacy Mentors work with the same pupils each week and aim to build a positive and supportive relationship that encourages engagement with learning.
The P2 Literacy Programme consists of two 8-week blocks and is developed to ensure time out of class is kept to a minimum. The school selects pupils and will decide if they should participate in both Block 1 and 2 based on need and progression. Block 1 is pre-Christmas with Block 2 continuing in the New Year.
During a session, pupils start with twenty minutes of paired reading before working in a small group for 20 minutes of phonics based activities. Pupils participate in two sessions per week.
Information session – Wednesday 6th of September 2017 (3:30pm - 4:30pm) at GCU.
The selected dates for each partner school are still to be confirmed and Literacy Mentors will be assigned to a school session following successful completion of the training. However, the Literacy Programme will take place over the below periods:
- Block 2 will run from week commencing 19th February 2018 for nine weeks
- Six weeks of activity will take place before the Easter Break
- Three further weeks will be delivered following the Easter Break
- Block 2 will end week commencing 30th April 2018
- Dates for Mentor Training are to be confirmed