George Johannes joined the African National Congress in 1970, and worked with the ANC as a full-time political activist from 1976 in a variety of roles including:
- Journalist with Radio Freedom, Luanda, Angola, Zambia
- Administrative Secretary of the Department of Information and Publicity, Lusaka
- Chairperson, ANC Youth Section, London
- Member of the Editorial Board of the official journal of the ANC 'Sechaba'
- Member of the Regional Political Committee of the ANC UK Region
- Administrative Secretary of the ANC Office in London
- ANC representative at the World Federation of Democratic Youth (WFDY), Budapest, Hungary
In 1995 George joined new South Africa's Department of Labour as Director for International Relations, before moving to the South African High Commission in London as Political Counsellor (January 1998) becoming the Deputy High Commissioner until 2005.
Since 2005 George has held the position of Director for UK, Ireland and Benelux Countries with the Department of Foreign Affairs, South African High Commission. In 2007 he was appointed Deputy Head of Mission in Berlin, Germany. In April 2009 he took up his appointment as South Africa's Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the Swiss Confederation, the Principality of Liechtenstein and the Holy See - The Vatican. He is presently (2017) an Independent Non-Executive Chairman of Pinnacle Point Group Limited.